MCIP version 5.0 Release (August 2019)

Why? The direct access nature of the I/O API means that there are no performance penalties for trying to access one day’s meteorology even from the middle of a three-decade-long (10957-day) file.
One of the original requirements for this project is that models should be able to run efficiently as single model-runs for whatever scenario is desired – week, month, year, …

Dear @tlspero @lizadams

When I commented out config_cmaq.csh in the MCIP script, I got this new error:

Mon Sep 2 15:20:03 CST 2019

This program uses the EPA-AREAL/MCNC-EnvPgms/BAMS Models-3      
 I/O Applications Programming Interface, [I/O API] which is      
 built on top of the netCDF I/O library (Copyright 1993, 1996    
 University Corporation for Atmospheric Research/Unidata         
 Program) and the PVM parallel-programming library (from         
 Oak Ridge National Laboratory).                                 
 Copyright (C) 1992-2002 MCNC,                                   
 (C) 1992-2013 Carlie J. Coats, Jr.,                             
 (C) 2003-2012 Baron Advanced Meteorological Systems, LLC, and   
 (C) 2014-2016 UNC Institute for the Environment.                
 Released under the GNU LGPL  License, version 2.1.  See URL     

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/lgpl-2.1.html     

for conditions of use.                                          

ioapi-3.2: $Id: init3.F90 98 2018-04-05 14:35:07Z coats $
 Version with PARMS3.EXT/PARAMETER::MXVARS3= 2048
 netCDF version 4.1.3 of Apr 30 2019 21:29:51 $

EXECUTION_ID: mcip

==============================================================================

US EPA COMMUNITY MULTISCALE AIR QUALITY MODEL
                METEOROLOGY-CHEMISTRY INTERFACE PROCESSOR

MCIP V5.0 FROZEN 07/15/2019

==============================================================================

*** SUBROUTINE: READNML
*** ERROR READING NAMELIST FILE ON UNIT 8
*** NAMELIST FILE NAME = namelist.mcip
*** NAMELIST = filenames
*** IOSTAT = 5010

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine READNML
 ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN READNML

Error running mcip

Kindly help me out.

Thanks a lot.

Catalyst

This looks as though there is a formatting error in your namelist (maybe a misplaced comma, maybe something else).
It may or may not (depending on the vendor) be helpful to look up your Fortran vendor’s list of run-time error numbers to see whether it tells you what kind of error. Otherwise, check (painfully) character-by-character against a known-good namelist to see if you can find what is wrong.
Or maybe change compiler-vendor – some of them take more idiosyncratic interpretation of the Fortran language-standard than do others ;-(

Dear @cjcoats,

Attached are the mcip script and the namelist file generated by the script.

Thanks

Catalyst

run_mcip_36km.csh (20.4 KB) namelist.mcip.txt (672 Bytes)

Very probably the problem is the comma at the end of line 4: your compiler-vendor is probably mis-interpreting the term value separator in the Fortran Language Standard (at section 10.10.1(4) ;-(

Dear @cjcoats

What do I do to resolve this as the namelist was created while running the mcip script and I wasn’t the one that created it?

Thanks

Catalyst

vi or emacs or your favorite text-editor :slight_smile:

I didn’t get you clearly, please.

@Catalyst2682
I will do some testing of MCIPv5.0 and see if I can reproduce your problem.
Can you tell me what compiler you are using?

Dear @lizadams,

I am using gfortran (gcc) compiler and it works fine with mcip4.5 but you know mcip4.5 has issues in processing wrf4.0+.

Thanks in anticipation. It’s been really frustrating!

Catalyst

I doubt if the problem has to be the comma at the end of line 4. There’s always comma at that place even in mcip4.5 namelist file and it works fine.

@Catalyst2682

Hello! I had the same issue. Could you try to change this line??

• set IfGeo = “T” --> try using .TRUE.

In my case, I’m still having issues, but the log file has changed, and it seems that the script ran a little bit further. I noticed that the default is “F” (and when testing the default, I got the same error when using .TRUE.), but apparently it does not work with “T” (no idea why).
Well, since I’m new on this and still having problems, I dont know if it helps, but maybe you could try.

Please, let me know if that worked for you.

Good luck!

1 Like

Dear @thayna.gomes,

Thanks a lot. It has run successfully after making the changes you suggested. Have you been able to resolve your issue too? Let me know if I can be of help, please.

Thanks and best regards.

Catalyst

1 Like

@Catalyst2682

I’m glad that it worked!

In my case, I didn’t solve the issue so far. I’ll post it on the forum hoping to get some help.

@thayna.gomes

I’m just following up to note that this issue with the namelist and the script was resolved in another thread where it was also raised. There is a typographical error in the released script where the namelist is automatically generated. I inadvertently introduced the error into the script for MCIPv5.0 when I removed the processing for MM5 and changed the name of the namelist variable from “file_ter” to “file_geo”.

The solution is to modify your script to replace “file_ter” with “file_geo” where the namelist is generated. This has been corrected in MCIPv5.1 (released with CMAQv5.3.1).

–Tanya

Hi all,

We are currently interpolating some MCIP5.0 files for a finer grid using m3cple. In order to do so we had to swap the x-orig and y-orig in the 5.0 GRIDDESC file for m3cple to work otherwise we were getting grid-mismatch errors. Is that normal behavior? Of note the m3cple version we are using is based on IOAPI 3.2 from a couple of years ago.

Many thanks in advance

1 Like

Please start a new issue, as this is a release announcement. PLEASE READ before posting

Is there any solutions or comments on this behavior of m3cple?

What version of m3cple? (Note that all the M3Tools programs always log the program version when they start execution, as part of the “splash screen”). m The current version is
Id: m3cple.f90 209 2021-11-10 19:03:04Z coats
and the change-log indicates bug-fixes in August 2018 and Nov 2021 – is your version up-to-date?