ERROR in subroutine READNML

@tlspero, MCIP ran successfully with this fix. Thank you!

Hi @tlspero

thanks for your solution, It works well. Now I have a segmentation fault. I already have try ulimit -s unlimited and diferent versions of WRF. when I run mcip 4.2 with WRFV3 works, but it doesnā€™t wor with mcip5.0.

the output is:

Program received signal SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault - invalid memory reference.

Backtrace for this error:
#0 0x2ac3cf493d8a in ???
#1 0x2ac3cf492fb3 in ???
#2 0x2ac3d007b33f in ???
#3 0x428f43 in ???
#4 0x403f2b in ???
#5 0x403d8c in ???
#6 0x2ac3d0067494 in ???
#7 0x403dbc in ???
#8 0xffffffffffffffff in ???
Segmentation fault
Error running mcip

I appreciate any help.

@cristianarango2 ā€“

Two things. First, please try using MCIPv5.1 (which just came out with CMAQv5.3.1). I donā€™t necessarily think this will solve the problem, but I want to make sure that this error is not caused by one of the minor bug fixes between 5.0 and 5.1. Second, please change your compiler options to use the equivalent of the ā€œtracebackā€ so that we can get more specific information about the error. The information provided in your last post is not helpfulā€¦other than there is a segmentation fault. The traceback (or whatever itā€™s called with your compiler) will give you the subroutine and sometimes the specific line in the code where there is a memory violation.

ā€“Tanya

1 Like

@cristianarango2 ā€“

Did you ever resolve this issue?

ā€“Tanya

Hy,

Iā€™m facing the same issue. Iā€™m using MCIP v4.4. Please have a look into my script and log file and help me out with the error.

Regards
Rasel

log.txt (2.3 KB) run_mcip.txt (18.9 KB) run_mcip.csh (941 Bytes)

Hi,
Was the namelist.mcip created? If so, please provide it here.

Megan

@mmallard

Hy Megan,

Please see the attached mcip namelist file.namelist.mcip.txt (579 Bytes)

Thanks
Rasel

It looks like your run_mcip.csh script is from a later version of MCIP, not 4.4. Have you tried using the run script from version 4.4?

Megan

@mmallard

No I still havenā€™t tried mcip script of 4.4 version. The file iā€™m using is from MCIP 5 version.

I believe you need to use the run_mcip script from version 4.4, if thatā€™s the MCIP version youā€™re trying to run.

Megan

@mmallard

One quick question. Can I use wrfout files from WRF 4.2.1 version into MCIP 4.4 version?

Thanks
Rasel

I havenā€™t tried that, but I think it would work.

Megan

Hy @mmallard ,

Iā€™ve changed my mcip script according to MCIP v4.4. However, still, Iā€™m getting the same error.

*** SUBROUTINE: READNML
*** ERROR READING NAMELIST FILE ON UNIT 8
*** NAMELIST FILE NAME = namelist.mcip
*** NAMELIST = filenames
*** IOSTAT = 5010

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine READNML
 ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN READNML

Error running mcip
mv: cannot stat ā€˜/scratch/mrasel/data/mcip/out/200601ā€™: No such file or directory

Attached my namelist.input, mcip scripts. log.run

log.run.txt (2.4 KB) namelist.mcip.txt (682 Bytes) run_mcip.txt (20.4 KB) run_mcip.csh (941 Bytes)

Thanks
Rasel

@munshimdrasel ā€“

I believe you need to edit your MCIPv4.4 script to remove IOFORM from the namelist. I donā€™t think that using a csh comment symbol (#) is sufficient. Delete that line from your script (where the namelist is automatically built) and try again. Or use the script that comes with the MCIPv4.4 release.

Also, if you are not trying to use MCIPv5.0+, please consider using MCIPv4.5 instead of MCIPv4.4. There were a few minor corrections that you may want to include in your runs.

ā€“Tanya

Hy @tlspero ,

Iā€™ve tried to use MCIP v5.0+ which worked fine for my datasets. I just donā€™t know if these mcip files (from MCIP v5.0) will be fine for CMAQ v5.2 or not. I need to do DDM analysis. So I installed CMAQ5.2 and with that, Iā€™ve got mcip v4.4. How can I get MCIP v4.5?

Iā€™ve tried removing IOFORM. Still Iā€™m facing the same error.

Thanks
Rasel

@munshimdrasel ā€“

One quick question. Can I use wrfout files from WRF 4.2.1 version into MCIP 4.4 version?
Thanks

You need to use MCIPv5.0 (or more current) for data from WRFv4.0 (and more current releases). MCIPv5.0 includes support for the hybrid vertical coordinate from WRF, which is the default setting in WRF beginning with WRFv4.0. (The hybrid vertical coordinate was available beginning in WRFv3.9, but the user needed to invoke it through the WRF namelist.) This involves some specific changes to the scientific formulations in MCIP that are required for mass consistency within CMAQ. If you are using WRFv4.2.1 and if you chose the terrain-following (sigma-only) vertical coordinate, then I can work with you to use MCIPv4.4 (or MCIPv4.5) to process those data. Otherwise, you will need to upgrade to MCIPv5.0 or more current to handle WRF.

I just donā€™t know if these mcip files (from MCIP v5.0) will be fine for CMAQ v5.2 or not.

For CMAQv5.2, youā€™ll still need to get the fractional land use data from MCIP to be part of GRIDCRO2D (which is how they were handled until MCIPv5.0) rather than in their own file (LUFRACCRO). There is a workaround for this (which Iā€™ve posted elsewhere, and Iā€™ll dig up for you, if necessary), if you need to use CMAQv5.2. If you are using the hybrid vertical coordinate, there may be a few other changes that were made between CMAQv5.2 and CMAQv5.3 that would need to be moved into your code.

How can I get MCIP v4.5?

MCIPv4.5 was packaged with an earlier version of CMAQ. According to Meteorology - Chemistry Interface Processor | US EPA, it is available with CMAQv5.3-beta, but it may be part of CMAQv5.2.1.

To move forward with your issue, I believe you need to settle on the versions of MCIP and CMAQ that you need for your WRF data and your scientific problem. Then you need to start with the MCIP script that comes with the version of MCIP that you are using. There are too many little changes between the MCIP4 and MCIP5 series of scripts that could introduce errors into your problem if you are trying to retrofit the changes. I think thatā€™s what you are seeing in your current stream of errors. It is too hard for me and @mmallard to cross-compare your modified scripts with those that were released.

Hope this helps.
ā€“Tanya

1 Like