***** ERROR ABORT in subroutine SETUP**

** ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN SETUP**
** Date and time 0:00:00 Nov 1, 2018 (2018305:000000)**

Error running mcip

my run.mcip settings:-
set MCIP_START = 2018-11-01-00:00:0000 # [UTC]

set MCIP_END = 2018-11-05-18:00:0000 # [UTC]

set INTVL = 60 # [min]

MCIP is not set up to run from WRF-Chem output.

Hello @lizadams @cjcoats @bbaek,

I got this error while running MCIP with WRF outputs for January 2000. My MCIP Version is the latest one (4.5). Kindly help me out. Thanks.

*** SUBROUTINE: SETUP
*** UNKNOWN OR UNSUPPORTED WRF OUTPUT VERSION
*** VERSION = OUTPUT FROM WRF V4.0 MODEL

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine SETUP
 ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN SETUP
 Date and time  12:00:00  Jan. 24, 2000   (2000024:120000)

Error running mcip

See this thread:

Dear all,

I still having problem to run CMAQ with WRF v4.0.3.
After my changes, MCIP ran, however, CMAQ complains about its output. I am still looking for a solution. I am going to look more carefully in the MCIP’s code, especially on the parts where it compares the WRF version.

Regards

Hello @rpedruzzi @tlspero @cjcoats @lizadams @bbaek @cgnolte

I have made the changes suggested by @rpedruzzi but the error still persists. What do I do next, please? Kindly help. Thanks.

Catalyst

@Catalyst2682 – Did you recompile MCIP after you changed the code?

1 Like

@rpedruzzi – What is the error you are getting in CMAQ?

I have been using WRF Chem -3.7.1 and MCIP V4.2. Still I am getting this unsupported WRF Version error.
What to do?

./run.mcip shows me this

@sahir – Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that MCIP is not set up to use WRF-Chem output. That statement is true for ALL versions of MCIP.

In order to address your issue, I need to know more about /why/ you want to run MCIP off WRF-Chem output. If you’ve already run WRF-Chem, why are you trying to use those output data for CMAQ?

Thanks so much @tlspero , it has worked after I recompiled the MCIP. However, I still got this error:

~~~ Processing meteorology for time = 2000-01-25-01:00:00.0000

*** SUBROUTINE: RDWRFEM
*** LOOKING FOR INPUT MET AT TIME 2000-01-25-01:00:00.0000
*** INPUT FILE NUMBER 2 IS BLANK

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine RDWRFEM
 ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN RDWRFEM
 Date and time  1:00:00   Jan. 25, 2000   (2000025:010000)

Error running mcip

I’ll appreciate your help as usual.

Catalyst

My WRFV3 is compiled and configured along with Chem option so its not WRF alone Its WRF-Chem and I am using wrf_out files that are generated with WRF-Chem but with chem option=0.So, basically no chemistry data is involved in here. It is only MET data.
Or is it something else that I am not getting?

@Catalyst2682 – The error means that the time period of 01 UTC 25 Jan 2000 is not available in the wrfout file you provided as input (and it looks like you only provided one wrfout file). You can provide multiple wrfout files as input to MCIP. Please double-check to ensure that you (1) intend to run MCIP on data for 01 UTC 25 Jan 2000, and (2) have that time period available in the wrfout that you assigned to the script variable InMetFiles. Sometimes the Linux path to the wrfout files is incorrect; you can check your script, as well as the file “namelist.mcip” that was created with your last attempt to run MCIP.

@sahir – If you’re just using wrfout files from the WRF-Chem simulation where the chemistry is off, then it’s probably ok to use them in MCIP. Using MCIP to process WRF-Chem output is a non-standard usage that I did not anticipate or code to allow.

I suggest that you do two things. First, please upgrade to MCIPv4.5. Second, to temporarily accommodate WRF-Chem output, please edit the MCIPv4.5 subroutine, setup.f90, by commenting out lines 131 and 133-137.

I cannot guarantee that this will work or that all of the correct fields will be available. Please let me know if it works for you.

But MCIPv4.5 comes alongwith CMAQv5.3 package and not as an individual asset. I am using CMAQv5.0.2. Then, what to do?

@sahir – I think it’s worth using a newer version of MCIP anyway. I believe you can download MCIPv4.5 out of the PREP area of CMAQ from GitHub.

Dear @tlspero @cjcoats @rpedruzzi @cgnolte

I need your assistance on this MCIP script please. My start date is 2016-01-01:06:00:00 and end date is 2016-01-31:18:00:00 but the script is looking for met input data of 2016-01-31:21:00:00, thereby making it not to complete normally. I think the error is in the definition of my sdate and edate in the script. I want the mcip output to be a file per day. Kindly find the script as attached.

This is the last part of the mcip log:

~~~ Processing meteorology for time = 2016-01-31-21:00:00.0000

*** SUBROUTINE: RDWRFEM
*** LOOKING FOR INPUT MET AT TIME 2016-01-31-21:00:00.0000
*** INPUT FILE NUMBER 2 IS BLANK

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine RDWRFEM
 ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN RDWRFEM
 Date and time  21:00:00  Jan. 31, 2016   (2016031:210000)

Error running mcip

Thanks for usual helps.run_mcip_ola.csh (20.6 KB)

@Catalyst2682 – I think there are two issues.

First, I would double-check the date specified by your script variable “edate”, which is used to define the script variable “MCIP_END” to ensure that the end date is actually 18 UTC 31 Jan 2016. You can check the file “namelist.mcip” that is generated by the script to see how “MCIP_END” was set. If you intend to explicitly set the start and end dates rather than use the script variables, then you need to uncomment (remove the # at the start of the line) where “MCIP_START” and “MCIP_END” are set to the dates you listed in your post, and comment out (add # to the start of the line) where “MCIP_START” and “MCIP_END” are set using the script variables “sdate” and “edate”.

Second, I’m not sure of the scientific implications of using data that are less frequent than hourly in the CCTM. You are processing MCIP with 3-hourly output, and I think the atmospheric changes should be captured at least hourly for the CCTM…which requires that you have hourly WRF output. That is a completely separate issue, but it is one that you should strongly consider, in my opinion, if you are planning to run the CCTM using this MCIP output.

@tlspero
Attached is my namelist.mcip. The sdate and edate greatly differ from the defined ones in the script.
I’ve used what you suggested earlier, the mcip result was just one file for every output (i.e only one METCRO3D file for the whole month) but I want results that will be a file for each day of simulation. For instance, one METCRO3D for each day, resulting into 31 METCRO3D files for the whole month of simulation.

As regard to your advice on 3hr simulation period interval, I will take to it, even though my nested domains are in 1hr interval.

Thanks for your attention and assistance.

namelist.mcip.txt (1.1 KB)