I got the following error message when I was trying to run mcip:
*** SUBROUTINE: READNML
*** ERROR READING NAMELIST FILE ON UNIT 8
*** NAMELIST FILE NAME = namelist.mcip
*** NAMELIST = filenames
*** IOSTAT = 19

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine READNML
ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN READNML

Is there anyone who happens to know what does “IOSTAT =19” means?
Thanks,
K

Fortran IOSTAT values are specific to the compiler (and sometimes version) used. We need to know what compiler you did use – Intel, PGI, GNU, ??

Some googling shows this list of IOSTAT values for Intel ifort:
https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/fortran-compiler-oneapi-dev-guide-and-reference/top/compiler-reference/error-handling/handling-run-time-errors/list-of-run-time-error-messages.html#list-of-run-time-error-messages which looks as though it might fit: IOSTAT=18 is for:

severe (18): Too many values for NAMELIST variable

FOR$IOS_TOOMANVAL. An attempt was made to assign too many values to a variable during a namelist READ statement.

Which suggests either mis-dimensioned array(s) in MCIP (not likely) or badly formatted namelist-input.

If you’re using PGI pgf90 or GNU gfortran, then I don’t have a clue (as far as I can tell from extensive googling, the way to figure out the latter is to read the compiler-source ;-(

Hi cjcoats,

Thanks for your reply. I use the Intel compiler in MCIP. As you shown in the Googling results, do you know how to solve this issue?

Many thanks for your kindly help.

Best,
K

Hi,
Which version of MCIP are you running? Be sure to use the run_mcip.csh script that was released with that version, so it can generate a proper namelist. If those things check out then please provide a copy of your namelist.mcip file here to further troubleshoot.

Megan

Hi mmallard,

Thanks for your help, it really solve my error. I accidently use the script for version 4.1 to run mcip version 5.1. Now the program run successfully. Now I am facing another issue. I am trying to have the MCIP generate daily output files while the program now have a combined outputs without the date shown in the file name. How could I modify the script to generate a daily output so that I can directly use them in running CMAQ? Hope to receive your help.

Best,
K

If you’d like to generate daily files, you could set up your run_mcip.csh script to run over daily periods. You should be able to use the output to run CMAQ though, even without doing this.

Megan