MCIP problem when processing WRF3.9.1 output and benchmark

Dear all,
I have successfully compiled the MCIP5.1 and MCIP5.0 in CMAQ5.3.1 and CMAQ5.3 version. But when I tried to run the MCIP5.0 for processing the benchmark data and WRF3.9.1 output, there are errors reported below:

*** SUBROUTINE: SETUP
*** ERROR OPENING WRF NETCDF FILE
*** FILE = /GFPS8p/xyyang/wk/CMAQ-5.3/2016_12SE1/met/wrfv3.8/subset_wrfout_d01_2016-07-01_00:00:00
*** NCF: Invalid argument

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine SETUP
 ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN SETUP
 Date and time  0:00:00   July 1, 2016    (2016183:000000)

Error running mcip

I am so curious about the specific error for such problem. I can process the same wrfout by using MCIP4.5 version in CMAQ5.2.1.

@tlspero @lizadams @bbaek @hogrefe.christian @cgnolte @fliu

Kindly help me, please.

Regards,
Ryan

run_mcip.csh (18.8 KB)
ncdump.txt (39.4 KB)
Please find the run script and ncdump file for wrfout here.
Note: I tried to use the MCIP5.1 and MCIP5.0 to process the benchmark wrf data and my own wrf3.9.1 output. But they all didn’t work.

What version of netCDF are you using?

Hi Chris,
I use the netcdf4.1.3.

Thanks!
Kai

@tlspero @lizadams @cgnolte

Please help me. Thanks !

Ryan, I don’t know what the problem is.
That version of netCDF is quite old (from 2011). Did you use the same compiler (and version) in compiling MCIP as was used in compiling the library? When you use ncdump to view the header of the file, are you sure it is the same version of netcdf as you used for compilation?

Basically, netCDF and ncdump version should never be a problem; the format is well defined and all of the libraries (and ncdumps) use the same format. The only problems that may happen are “going backwards” – large-model files generated netCDF-3 or later will not be readable by netCDF-2; HDF based files from netCDF-4 or later will not be readable by netCDF-3 or earlier; however, these are exceptional situations that you have to “work at” to get yourself into.

@cjcoats: I agree this should not be happening. That’s why it is perplexing.

use NETCDF
rcode = nf90_open (file_mm(1), nf90_nowrite, cdfid)
IF ( rcode == nf90_noerr ) THEN  ! successfully opened NetCDF file; assume WRF
ELSE  ! error opening file as NetCDF
  [output error message]
END IF

@Ryan is getting the error condition in the ELSE block. Any other suggestions of what could be going wrong?

@Ryan

Please check the path to the wrfout file, as you specified it in your script. In particular, should “GFPS8p” be “GPFS8p”?

–Tanya

Hi Tanya,
I am pretty sure that the path to the wrfout file is correct. And I have solved this error by updating the MCIP to version5.1 (But I still have no idea what caused the error).
@cgnolte Thanks a lot for your help, Chris. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Ryan