NOTICE OF VACANCY
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY
Laboratory for Atmospheric Research
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture
Washington State University, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and the Laboratory for Atmospheric Research (LAR) invite applications for a post-doctoral researcher on the Pullman campus with an effective start date as early as 15 March 2021. Funding is available for one year and with the possibility of extension. This position is part of WSU’s effort to build a diverse community; female and minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Candidates are sought with expertise in numerical modeling and machine learning related to air quality and atmospheric chemistry at regional to urban scales. The successful applicant must have experience with CMAQ or comparable modeling systems. The researcher will contribute to the operation and enhancement of the WSU AIRPACT air quality forecast system and development of new machine learning models for air quality forecasting.
Position requirements include:
- Expertise with gridded meteorological and atmospheric chemistry & transport models such as WRF, CMAQ, or GEOS-Chem, and their applications to air quality, atmospheric chemistry, and/or climate change,
- Recent accomplishments demonstrating graduate-level and/or postdoctoral research, evidenced by peer reviewed publications,
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree earned in a relevant science or engineering field.
Other desirable qualifications include experience with:
- Linux and Python scripting,
- Applying machine learning to air quality forecasting,
- Emissions preparation,
- Remote sensing and in situ observations applied to evaluation and improvement of models and forecast systems,
- Model development.
Applicants should apply online at https://www.wsujobs.com by submitting the following: a cover letter, a detailed resume, a statement of research interests, and a list of five references with contact information. Screening of candidates will begin 1 March 2021; applications will be accepted until the position is filled. A competitive salary will be offered based on the candidate’s qualifications and level of experience.
The job, Position Number 200859, is found online here:
WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EDUCATOR AND EMPLOYER.