Smoke4.7-test case error with gcc

Hello CMAS forum,

I recently compiled SMOKE 4.7 with gcc. Unfortunately, the test case did not run smoothly. By just running one file, smk_area_nctox.csh, dozens of errors showed up. Some users had similar questions in this forum and they solved it by changing their compiler from gcc to ifort. My virtual server does not support ifort. Here are what I have:
gcc 4.8.5 20150623
ioapi v3.2
netcdf-fortran v4.4.3
netcdf-c v4.4.0

Some errors are attached below and I look forward to any suggestions. Thank you very much.

$ grep ERROR *
smkinven.area.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100
smkmerge.area.nctox.20050710.us12-nc.log: *** ERROR ABORT in subroutine MRGVNAMS
smkmerge.area.nctox.20050710.us12-nc.log: ERROR: Variable descriptions do not contain proper separator in spec matrix.
smkreport.area.temporal.nctox.2005191.log: ERROR: Speciation joiner “~” is not found for speciation va riable 1
smkreport.area.temporal.nctox.2005191.log: ERROR: Speciation joiner “~” is not found for speciation va riable 2
smkreport.area.temporal.nctox.2005191.log: ERROR: Speciation joiner “~” is not found for speciation va riable 3

More similar errors like the above one

smkreport.area.temporal.nctox.2005191.log: *** ERROR ABORT in subroutine BLDREPIDX

This issue could be related to the compiler version and compilation flags used for NetCDF and IOAPI. We have seen this issue before through gfortran compilers. Do you have an access to an intel compiler?

Better yet, have you tried to use the precompiled executables downloaded from CMAS website without the compilation? No need to recompile the codes since the SMOKE package already contains the precompiled executables as long as your GLIBC is newer than v2.17.

My current server does not support intel fortran compiler. My understanding is we can’t run the precompiled executables with gcc, correct? Thank you very much for the quick response.