About HNO3 dry deposition velocity

I’d like to perform a sensitivity test of HNO3 dry deposition velocity.
I’m studying the code in the CMAQ, but I’m not sure, so I’m asking for help.

Please review the following paper.

How you approach this depends on what processes you are considering and the CMAQ model options. If

you are using the M3Dry deposition option:

Constants related to cuticular and soil resistances by deposition species are found in:

AS_DATA_MOD.F

All other surface resistances are estimated in:

m3dry.F

The aerodynamic and stomatal resistances are passed down from the meteorological model

All modifications will require a recompile of the code. Documentation can be found in Pleim and Ran 2011 (Atmosphere | Free Full-Text | Surface Flux Modeling for Air Quality Applications)

If you are using the STAGE compile time deposition option:

Constants related to cuticular and soil resistances by deposition species are found in:

CMAQ_Control_STAGE.nml

All other surface resistances are estimated in

STAGE_FUNCTIONS.F

Aerodynamic and stomatal resistances are currently normalized to the meteorological model output and can be modified in:

MOSAIC_MOD.F

Modifications to do not require a re-compile while modifications to STAGE_FUNCTIONS.F or MOSAIC_MOD.F will require recompiling the code.

Additionally, there is a box model version of the STAGE option Walker et al. 2023 (BG - Atmospheric deposition of reactive nitrogen to a deciduous forest in the southern Appalachian Mountains) available here (Bash and Wu 2023; STAGE bidirectional air-surface exchange model | Zenodo). I have found this to be useful in the development of updated deposition parameters.

2 Likes