Aggregation of C-LINE outputs

Hey everyone, I’m here to ask for feedback on whether or not an aggregation method I’m using for C-LINE outputs sounds reasonable.

Basically, I’m modelling a large, regional area that requires multiple C-LINE runs to model the whole thing. My colleagues and I have found that C-LINE can’t handle much more than 3000 manually uploaded road segments at a time without crashing and our area contains 131k+ road segments.

Accordingly, we have split up the roads into 41 groups that we are running separately, many of the outputs of which intersect each other geographically (though none of the roads are duplicated between groups).

My question is about best practices when then aggregating said runs. My idea is to just overlay them all, spatially join them into cells of 200 square-meter each, and then add up (sum) the emissions values within each cell.

Does that seem sound on a data level? I wasn’t sure if somehow the different runs might be duplicating the same emissions and thus artificially increasing the final result from what it should be, despite each run having no duplicate roads between them. I also wasn’t sure if the tool models interactions between emissions from different road segments that would affect the final result, e.g. if emissions tend to drift towards areas of lower concentration or something like that.

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback!

Each model run only estimates concentrations due to the included road sources, so multiple runs using the same spatial extent with distinct road sources could be safely summed to get total concentrations.

1 Like