CMAQ can't read In-line sea-salt emission file

I used Spatial Allocator to produce an in-line sea-salt emission file for a grid domain focused on southwest U.S. However, CMAQ is unable to read this file. I looked at the file header using ncdump and it has both OPEN and SURF variables. I was also able to plot these variable in VERDI. I tried a different method of creating this file by using M3WNDW to window out the southwest portion of the 12US1 domain file. I still get the same error when I run CMAQ. I don’t really understand what is causing this error. I attached the CMAQ log fileCTM_LOG_007.txt (21.8 KB)

—>> WARNING in subroutine XTRACT3
Error in row-bounds specification for file OCEAN_1 variable OPEN

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine retrieve_ocean_d on PE 007
 Could not read OPEN from OCEAN_1

PM3EXIT: date&time specified as 0
Date&time specified as 0

There is a mismatch in the spatial extents of your files. Your log file indicates you have not windowed your MCIP files, or your ICON file, to match the extents of your OCEAN file. I believe you will need to modify your GRIDDESC file also, if you have not done so already.

@cgnolte I was able to window out most of the MCIP files, initial condition, and already changed the GRIDDESC file. However, I was not able to window out GRIDBDY2D and METBDY3D files. When I run CMAQ, I get this new error.

Lower bound: 56
Upper bound: 111
Actual number of rows: 110

>>--->> WARNING in subroutine XTRACT3
 Error in row-bounds specification for file GRID_DOT_2D      variable MSFD2

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine retrieve_grid_do on PE 007
 Could not interpolate MSFD2 from GRID_DOT_2D

PM3EXIT: date&time specified as 0
Date&time specified as 0

The error you are getting is because DOT files should have dimension that is one larger than CRO files. This page should help:
https://www.cmascenter.org/ioapi/documentation/all_versions/html/GRIDS.html

In creating the METBDY3D file for the windowed domain, I think you need to provide the METCRO3D file from the original (full CONUS) domain, then run the bcwndw program. You need to create a METBDY3D file for your windowed subdomain in order to run CMAQ. If you can’t get that to work, please start a new thread for using bcwndw.