COMBINE utility run problems _cannot open or read SPECIES_DEF #CMAQ#CAMx

Good morning @hogrefe.christian
Okay, here is what I did to address your questions:

1. Using the spec_def.camx.avrg file in the original run (no change in module_specdef.F & makefile except what is mentioned in post#19, point#2) the terminal.log is original_terminal_error.txt (5.0 KB) and terminal screenshot is

For the same setup for spec_def.camxv7.elements file, the terminal.log is original_terminal_logerror_spec_def_camxv7_elements.txt (3.3 KB) and the terminal screenshot is

I don’t see difference in the errors. same error occurs for both files.

1. I did same Trial1 (T1) & Trial2(T2) setup as mentioned in post #19 (point #3 & #4) by using spec_def.camxv7.elements file this time. And the output is for trial1 (T1)
    attachment here: T1_terminal_logerror_spec_def_camxv7_elements.txt (4.3 KB) and

And for the trial2 (T2), T1_terminal_logerror_spec_def_camxv7_elements.txt (4.3 KB)
and

Note: For the original run, the makefile I used here is: Makefile.txt (830 Bytes) . I got the source code of ‘combine.exe’ from one of our partners who successfully compiled and ran the combine program using same spec_def files (both file). The only changes I made with their makefile is changing appropriate directories and library of following:

IOAPI_INC = /models/CMAQ/lib64/ioapi_3.500vars/ioapi/fixed_src
IOPAI_LIB= /models/CMAQ/ib64/ioapi_3.500vars/Linux2_x86_64pg
IOAPI_LIB = /models/CMAQ/lib64/netcdf-3.6.0-pl/lib

** to**

IOAPI_INC = /root/Documents/softwares/ioapi3.2_install/ioapi-3.2-20200828/ioapi/fixed_src
IOAPI_LIB = /root/Documents/softwares/ioapi3.2_install/ioapi-3.2-20200828/Linux3
NETCDF_LIB = /usr/local/netcdf-4.7.4/lib
and added -lnetcdff -lnetcdf instead of -lnetcdf

**I can see only differences in netcdf version and ioapi. **

Do you think that’s an issue?

Hello @hogrefe.christian @lizadams

Thank you so much for your help. @hogrefe.christian helped me to figure out the issue.

I deleted all .o, .mod, .exe files from the source code. And then recompiled the code by using the ‘make’ command which basically creates .o, .mod, .exe files as my local libraries (previously I was just deleting only .exe files but not .o and .mod files, thats why error was occuring).
Then I successfully ran the ‘combine.exe’ for my spec_def files.

Thank you again.