Create CEM file for 2022?

Hello,

I was wondering if it was possible to convert the first quarter of CEM data from the EPA air data mart into the proper FF10 format. (IE: it’s 2022, and I would like to run some January-February 2022 PTEGU files). If so, is there some documentation for how to create the HOUR_UNIT* files from the air data mart data? I have emailed the EPA contact line, and they said they were not sure how to convert the air data mart data into the SMOKE input format.

Thank you!
Anastasia

Ok so I figured it out. The EPA uploads cem files quarterly (according to the help desk?), which you can access via FTP: https://gaftp.epa.gov/DMDnLoad/emissions/hourly/monthly/2022/

I made a script to batch download the zip files, unzip them, and save the file names.

Then I formatted the HOUR_UNIT files to match this: 8.2.7. PTHOUR: Point source hour-specific emissions
which just means rearranging the columns of the files from the FTP, formatting the dates, and concattenating all the files within a specific month. I used the PTINV file in the SMOKE/input/ptegu directory to guide me to make sure the IDs were matching up. It’s kinda tricky reading through the user guide to get this, but ends up being straightforward I think?

One negative is that I could not find metadata in the files to help navigate the files across the FTP and the SMOKE platform so that I can really confirm how these are all connected. Like, the EPA files use ‘ORISPL_CODE’ to match on to the ‘ORISID’, ‘UNITID’ to match ‘BLRID’, etc., etc. (at least, from matching unique datasets across the PTINV, an HOUR_UNIT*, and these FTP files, that’s what I have back-engineered to understand?). So I’m working off my matching and assumptions, but it seems to work. Also, I am not sure if I need to further clean the data but that will be my next step to compare my 2021 CEM files to my 2022 CEM files.

1 Like