Different days as weekday and weekend_smk4.8

Hi, I am using SMOKE 4.8.
My problem is about different days as weekdays and weekends. In SMOKE, Saturday and Sunday are known as weekends but in our calendar, are Thursday and Friday.
This is an important problem for me because when we are producing SPDIST.txt we should use some codes for example 5 for weekdays and 2 for weekends, then these data will be used for the wrong days’ profile.

How can I manage this problem?
Any idea?
Thanks for your help.

Do you mean that in a different part of the world, different days of the week are ‘weekends’?

It’s probably not appropriate to use the SPDIST for the U.S. in another part of the world and instead you would want one appropriate for your region.

yes, I mean that in different parts of the world, different days of the week are ‘weekends’.
And I want to change it to use for my region.

For this specific issue related to onroad mobile sources, you could try one of these approaches.

1.Re-average the speeds and (for RPP and RPV) EFs so that all days of the week have the same speeds and EFs. Mew speed/EF = (5*(weekday value) + 2*(weekend value))/7), then copy the new speeds/EFs to dayID=5 and dayID=2.

1. If you are comfortable going into the SMOKE source code and recompiling, you could try adjusting this code in movesmrg.f which sets whether a day is a weekday or a weekend: (this is lines 673-682 in our version of the 4.8 source code)

C… Determine weekday index (Monday is 1)

DDATE = JDATE

DTIME = JTIME

CALL NEXTIME( DDATE, DTIME, -DAYBEGT( SRC ) )

DAY = WKDAY( DDATE )

IF( DAY .GT. 5 ) THEN

DAYIDX = 1 ! weekend (6-7)

ELSE

DAYIDX = 2 ! weekday (1-5)

END IF

To make Thursday and Friday the weekends, this might work:

C… Determine weekday index (Monday is 1)

DDATE = JDATE

DTIME = JTIME

CALL NEXTIME( DDATE, DTIME, -DAYBEGT( SRC ) )

DAY = WKDAY( DDATE )

IF( DAY .EQ. 4 .OR. DAY .EQ. 5 ) THEN

DAYIDX = 1 ! weekend (4, 5) for Thursday/Friday

ELSE

DAYIDX = 2 ! weekday (1, 2, 3, 6, 7)

END IF

If you implement this change and recompile, we recommend doing some testing to review the outputs before and after the change to determine if it had the desired effect.