DUST_LU_2 file FOREST variable not correct

Many thanks for the details!
One more clarification: when computing the FOREST percentage for a domain (domain extends a bit into Mexico, but mostly is within the US), how would I sum up: would that be sum of tree species only, or the sum of USGS forest categories only, or the sum of USGS forest for grid points outside the US, and the sum of tree species for grid points within the US?
Thanks

Based on my reading of the code in LUS_DEFN.F, the FOREST variable should actually only sum over the tree species and none of the USGS types. In your earlier post, you had correctly provided a copy of the relevant code. If one were to sum over all forest categories (including the USGS types), that portion of the code would have to be changed to only include the FOREST variable from the b3_tot file. I have edited my earlier response accordingly.

Thanks for your patience in bearing with us as we work through these issues. The challenge for us is that many of the people who originally created these input files and developed the windblown dust code itself no longer work here. Any potential future code updates benefit from user experiences such as yours so we appreciate the feedback you are providing.

Thanks for helping out! I appreciate your response.

One of my colleagues has prepared a corrected set of b3_tot tiles that can be used as input to the spatial allocator convert_beld3 scripts. These corrected files were created by summing over all the tree species in the b3_a and b3_b tiles and should fix the FOREST problem for the windblown dust module in CMAQ when using the BELD3 option for CTM_WBDUST_BELD. The FOREST variable is not used by any version of BEIS so using the updated vs. older b3_tot tiles to generate inputs for BEIS for a specific domain doesn’t have any impact on biogenic emissions processing.

An updated set of spatial allocator inputs containing these corrected files has been posted by @lizadams and can be accessed at the following links:
Directory containing the updated file
Direct link to file

1 Like

If you are aware of, would you let me know the reference to BELD3 dataset (I want to know how that data was created, and also the details about the different categories - e.g. what is meant by Misc_crop, USGS_irrcrop, etc). That technical information would be useful.

Thanks.

The BELD3 categories are listed in this table that is part of the SMOKE documentation:
Land use categories in BELD3

I don’t have additional documentation on the BELD3 dataset at the moment (I do know it was created in the late 1990s), but if I come across some information, I’ll post it here.

1 Like

Many thanks for this info!