I´m trying to process wrfout files in MCIPV5.0 and got this error:

• SUBROUTINE SETUP_WRFEM - READING WRF HEADER
    WRF GRID DIMENSIONS (X,Y,Z) 73 73 43

*** SUBROUTINE: SETUP_WRFEM
*** NQSPECIES SET AT 3
*** MCIP NEEDS TO BE MODIFIED FOR THIS CASE

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine SETUP_WRFEM
 ABNORMAL TERMINATION IN SETUP_WRFEM
 Date and time  1:00:00   July 1, 2018    (2018182:010000)

I am using WRF v4.1.3. This is the first type of error I obtained. I ran the same version of mcip and wrf before and ran successfully. Could parametrization in namelist.input (in WRF settings) affected the MCIP processing?

Thanks

Ernesto,
Looking at the code in setup_wrfem.f90, it appears that MCIP is not set up to handle a case where only one of QI and QS is present.
What microphysics scheme was used in your WRF run?

Hello @cgnolte. I used Ferrier (option 5) microphyics scheme. Is there any option to run mcip for this scheme?
Thanks for your time

@ernesto.pinoc

MCIP was not set up to run with the Ferrier microphysics because additional changes would be required in CMAQ to handle the partitioning of the hydrometeor species from that scheme. It’s not a showstopper, but it’s something that would require additional effort to implement properly.

Do you have an option to choose a different microphysics scheme, or are these your only WRF data?

–Tanya

Hello @tlspero Thanks for your time and reply. I would try with another physics scheme. Is there any other options that mcip does not process?
Regards

@ernesto.pinoc

I try to make MCIP work with most of the schemes in WRF, but some are obviously better linked with CMAQ than others. The Ferrier microphysics is just an outlier, and we have not elevated the priority to figure out how to link it since we don’t use it here.

I think it would be better to ask me about specific schemes that you might be considering rather than have me say that they all work or “all except this one”. I’m sure that I can advise you on some of the pitfalls, but I may not know all of them offhand.

–Tanya

Thank you @tlspero. If I noted future “warning message” like this, I just will consider that MCIP can not processes wrfout file due to the physics scheme selected. So, I only need to change it.
Thanks again.