Is there available CO2 and CH4 emission input files in NEI2011 for SMOKE

Hi all,

I have a quick question, are there available CO2 and CH4 emission input files for NEI2011 to run SMOKE?

Thank you in advance.

There are several versions of the 2011 platform data posted, but CO2 is only available for a subset of sources.

CH4 is typically produced through speciation, so may be included.

Thus a complete set of CO2 and CH4 for 2011 is not available.

Hi Alison,

Thank you for your reply and this information!
Sorry, I am a little confused. What do you mean by a subset of sources?
I wonder if there is any way to use SMOKE to get CO2 and CH4 emissions for 2011.
If not, I may have to turn to other ways to do that.

Thank you.

The 2011 platform emissions that are posted for emission modeling are stored here:

https://gaftp.epa.gov/Air/emismod/2011/v3platform/

There is no CO2 included for nonpoint sources in the 2011 platforms.

There is no CO2 for commercial marine vessels – and probably not for locomotive / rail / aircraft sources.

For 2011, the number of point sources that include CO2 would be pretty limited – although coverage has improved in more recent years.

I am not sure if the 2022 inventories for onroad and nonroad include CO2 - you could check the files.

So, overall, I don’t think the 2011 platform inventories reflect CO2 for most of the sources that emit it, and therefore would not be a good data source for modeling CO2 in 2011.

I see, thank you for the quick reply and this detailed information!

Hi Alison,

Sorry, one more question, could I know which each year’s inventory should be sufficient to run SMOKE to get CO2 and CH4 emissions?

Thank you.

None of the NEI / modeling platform inventories have those emissions for all sectors – notably nonpoint emissions are missing them.

2020 has the most coverage including facility totals from EPA GHG reporting program and some State / local emissions

CO2 is included for mobile sources, and CH4 for some mobile sources (not CMV).

CO2 and CH4 are included for wild and prescribed fires.

I see, thank you for this information!

P.S. if you which to retrieve any CO2 emissions from 2020, you can go here:

https://awsedap.epa.gov/public/single/?appid=20230c40-026d-494e-903f-3f112761a208&sheet=5d3fdda7-14bc-4284-a9bb-cfd856b9348d&opt=ctxmenu,currsel

The modeling platform is not yet posted but should be later this summer.

I see, thank you again for this information!