Issue encountered while running CCTM with ISAM enabled

Dear all,

I am writing to seek assistance regarding an issue I encountered while running CCTM with ISAM enabled. The error message I received was quite vague, making it difficult for me to pinpoint the source of the error.

Below, you can find the error message, and I have attached the complete CTM_LOG file at the end.

|> Reading Emission Control Namelist:
     +======================================

Performing Basic Error Checks for Emission Scaling Rules
                     :

>>--->> WARNING in subroutine OPEN3
     File not available.

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine SubhFile_Cell on PE 001
     Could not open
 PM3EXIT:  date&time specified as 0
     Date&time specified as 0

Additionally, I have included the relevant ISAM-related settings from my run_cctm file and attached the isam_control.txt file.

setenv SA_IOLIST ${WORKDIR}/isam_control.txt
setenv ISAM_REGIONS $INPDIR/GRIDMASK.nc

What confuses me more is that I had successfully run CCTM with the same settings before (during another simulation in a different time period, but with the same GRIDMASK.nc file). However, this time, I encountered the aforementioned error.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide me with some possible troubleshooting approaches or solutions to resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your time and support.

Best regards,
Evan

CTM_LOG_000.v54_ISAM_intel.txt (16.3 KB)
isam_control.txt (2.6 KB)

Based on where the model crash occurs, the CCTM is looking for the GRIDMASK (ISAM_REGIONS) files but cannot find it. Could you please post both your run script and CMAQ_Control_DESID.nml namelist file? One guess is that you may have forgotten to uncomment the Desid_RegionDef section of the CMAQ_Control_DESID.nml which is used to define which file_label (ISAM_REGIONS in your case) the region labels (mapped from variables in that file) should be read from.

Thanks for your concern.

I have uncommented the section in CMAQ_Control_DESID.nml

&Desid_RegionDef
 Desid_Reg_nml  =   
 !            Region Label   | File_Label  | Variable on File
               'EVERYWHERE'  ,'N/A'        ,'N/A',
 !<Example>    'WATER'       ,'CMAQ_MASKS' ,'OPEN',
 !<Example>    'ALL'         ,'CMAQ_MASKS' ,'ALL',
 !<Example>    'ALL'         ,'ISAM_REGIONS','ALL',
               'ALL',        ,'ISAM_REGIONS','ALL',
/

Here are my run script and CMAQ_Control_DESID.nml.
CMAQ_Control_DESID.nml.txt (13.8 KB)
run_cctm_CN3AH_135X138.pbs.txt (38.8 KB)

I am writing to provide an update on this issue. After further investigation, I am confident that I have identified the source of the problem. It turns out that the error occurred because I had mistakenly set “NEW_START” to “FALSE,” which resulted in the inability to locate the CGRID file.

I apologize for any confusion caused by my initial inquiry, as this issue is unrelated to ISAM. However, I believe this finding may assist you in providing more precise guidance in case of future error reporting.

Thank you once again for your attention and support.

Kind regards,
Evan

1 Like

Thanks for providing this update, I’m glad you were able to track down and solve the issue.