Nonpoint other source cannot find surrogate files

Hi,

When I ran othar, canada_onroad, othafdust… there is an error below. I can run othpt sector successfully.
I checked the files in the path below, I am not sure why it cannot find it. The domain is 4km over the northeastern US and part of Canada. Does anyone have any idea about this error? I appreciate any help you can provide.

PATH: setenv SRGPRO “${GE_DAT}/gridding/surrogates/CONUS4_2015CAN_03dec2018/CA_100_NOFILL.txt”

ERROR:
File “SRGDESC” opened for input on unit: 95
…/smoke2019//ge_dat/gridding/srgdesc_2015Canada_2010Mexico_03dec2018_07jan2019_v2_4km.txt

Reading gridding surrogate description file...
 Value for SMK_USE_FALLBACK not defined;returning default:   FALSE
 Value for SMK_DEFAULT_SRGID:  10

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine GRDMAT
ERROR: Default surrogate code is not available in your surrogate description
: User MUST choose a population surrogate code (i.e.,100) as default for a proper processing

Setting SMK_DEFAULT_SRGID to 100 instead of 10 should fix this. The default surrogate setting isn’t used by SMOKE, but if it is not set to a valid surrogate, then Grdmat will crash. Surrogate 10 is a Mexico surrogate, and your 4km domain doesn’t include Mexico, so trying changing the default surrogate to one that includes data for Canada.

Thank you for the detailed clarification. I can run onroad_canada successfully, but there is an error when running othar even SMK_DEFAULT_SRGID =100.
ERROR:
Could not open input surrogate file…/smoke2019//ge_dat/gridding/surrogates/CONUS4_2015CAN_03dec2018/MEX_12_FILL.txt

Does the file it is looking for (MEX_12_FILL) exist in the folder it is looking in?

No, only 4km CA surrogate files I found from 2016v2

I may try to use 4km MEX surrogate from 2016 alpha

We think this may be happening because the Mexico surrogates are in your SRGDESC file. If your domain doesn’t include Mexico, you can remove the Mexico surrogates rows from the SRGDESC file.

I see. my mistake, I used 12km SRGDESC for 4km. However, after correcting it and make sure each file in SRGDESC matched with files in surrogate folder. There are still errors:
ERROR: Gridding surrogate code 26 is not in surrogates file, but was
assigned to source:
Region: 000000232058 SCC: 00000000002805045001
ERROR: Gridding surrogate code 26 is not in surrogates file, but was
assigned to source:
Region: 000000232058 SCC: 00000000002805045004
ERROR: Gridding surrogate code 40 is not in surrogates file, but was
assigned to source:
Region: 000000232058 SCC: 00000000002810030000

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine ASGNSURG
 Problem assigning gridding surrogates to sources

I believe the sources with errors are in Mexico based on their listed region. If your domain does not include Mexico, you could not include the Mexico inventories for processing.

I believe they are in standalone files even in the sectors that are shared by Canada and Mexico. Or, you can keep the Mexico inventories as input and include the surrogates that SMOKE is looking for. The system needs to be in sync between the inventories and the surrogates.

1 Like

I see, thank you for this detailed information!
I added MEX related files into surrogate folder and srgdesc, set SMK_USE_FALLBACK= Y, it worked now.

Thank you for your help :smiley: