Option 3 - Inline NO without NLDN Data CMAQv5.3.1

Hi. Trying to run lightning NOx with option 3. Even though USE_NLDN option is set to N, the script is still trying to open the NLDN file.
Capture

Can you send me your runscript?

Thanks,

Daiwen Kang

kang.daiwen@epa.gov

The line NLDN:STRIKES : NLDN_STRIKES tells me that your script does not do the correct setenv command to set this environment variable to the path name for the corresponding file.

In fact, when we consolidated the I/O processes using centralized IO, a bug was introduced when setting the correct lightning input files. We are now trying to fix the problem. If you want to use current version of CMAQ code, one simple fix may be to have a pseudo NLDN_STRIKES file. It will run but do nothing. Or you can wait for us to provide a correction.

Thanks,

Daiwen Kang

Hi
Yes I have attached my run script. Thank you. So I can just put like a “mask” file as a place holder for the NLDN file? Will it still compute using the param file with that “mask” file in place for the NLDN file?
Bestrun_cctm_2019_4k-CMAQ_final_model_run_v2.csh (37.0 KB)

Hello I tried that. But still same error.
I was curious, if the error also has something to do with the initial conditions not having any data on NLDN strikes.

Hi
I thought it wasn’t supposed to look for the NLDN strike file if that option was false. I did go back and put in a mask file just to check (as was suggested) and still got same error.

Update: One of my team mates modified the centralized module and gave me his solution. It appears to be working. Thanks so much!

Hi @abi0010, can you post the solution to this issue? I ran into the same error and it would be great not to ask the same question again.

Hi @nsanzine. This is the solution given to me by @nashskipper. He modified the code, sent it to me. I then recompiled with the code and it worked. It is the centralized_io_module.F file under CMAQ/CCTM/src/cio. I have attached the original file and listed the modifications for it.

1. After line 206 add the following

logical :: USE_NLDN

2. At line 827 Comment out the line

if (cio_LTNG_NO) then

add this line in its stead

if  (USE_NLDN) then
  1. Go to line 937, which should read as follows and comment it out

if (cio_LTNG_NO) then

and add in its place the following

if  (USE_NLDN) then

centralized_io_module.txt (195.2 KB)

@abi0010, thanks for the solution.

@abi0010 Hi, can you tell me which tools in CMAQ are used to make lightning NOx related files? I don’t know how to use the lightning NOx in CMAQ. Looking forward to your reply!!

Please review the following chapter of the User Guide.

Thank you very much, but how can I get the parameter files of other countries and regions ?

For regions outside of the US, I believe that you need to use the option USE_NLDN N

I do not think that there is a published method to create the NLDN lightning parameterization file for outside of the United States.

For real-time forecasts or other applications where lightning data are not available, lightning NO is produced based on statistical relationships with the simulated convective rainfall rate (Kang et al., 2019).

I did find the following comment about how the lightning parameterization file was created in the following paper: https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2019-12/documents/2016fe_hemispheric_tsd.pdf

Section:
2.4.2 Lightning NOx emissions
NOx emissions from lightning strikes, known as Lightning NOx, were developed. Monthly lightning NOx
emissions including vertical allocation for all 44 layers were created from a global inventory (Price,
1997). Lightning NOx was speciated to model species NO and NO2 using a standard 90/10 split.
Diurnal temporalization for lightning NOx was applied using lightning strike flash rate data from
Blakeslee, et al., 2014 (Seasonal variations in the lightning diurnal cycle and implications for the global electric circuit - ScienceDirect).
This lightning data includes diurnal variation in lightning strikes in UTC by season (summer, fall, winter,
spring) and by continent. Diurnal temporal profiles were calculated from this data for each season and
continent and then applied to the monthly total lightning NOx emissions, using the GRIDMASK file to
map cells to continents. Lightning strikes over open water use a flat diurnal profile.
There is no day-of-month temporalization, and so there is a single hourly lightning NOx emissions file for
each month. The same lightning NOx emissions are used for both 2015 (spinup year) and 2016 (base
year).