Regridding between 12km and 36km CMAQ-ready emissions

I can find surface inputs for 12US1 at https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1PDW4P6b5GkpzF-SFsQu2LPnQQXBj3MJK of CMAS Warehouse on google drive, and it looks like this

The location seems to be 2016_12US1 > surface. Where would the corresponding 36US3 domain surface inputs be at the CMAS warehouse? I cannot find the festc1.4_epic files for 36US3 domain?

Hi Skunwar,

I will take a look and see if I can find them and make them available on the google drive. @eyth.alison - can you e-mail a path to me for atmos, if these files are available on the EPA system?

Thanks, Liz

Hi Liz – I’m checking with others here to see…

I wanted to check again if we have the BEIS, FEST, Lightning input files (hopefully NEI2016 compatible) for 36US3 domain (or a bigger 36km domain that includes 36US3 domain) available for download on cloud or server?

I have some questions as I merge all emission sectors using ‘mrggrd’ program in the emissions modeling platform (NEI2016). It takes me about 15 hours to merge all 2D emission sectors (12 months with 10 day spinup; nobeis and norwc) to one in the computing cluster - I am calling this ‘single sequential batch job’. To speed up the process, I ran ‘12 parallel batch jobs’ - one job for each month (with no spinup). However, this led two problems:

1. When I compared Feb 15 emissions file from the ‘single sequential batch job’ with the merged Feb 15 emissions file from the ‘12 parallel batch jobs’ using M3STAT command, I saw that the two files were not the same. The domain max,min,mean values for each timestamp were usually occuring at the same grid cell, but their magnitudes were different. I am unsure how this could occur?
  2. In the ‘12 parallel batch jobs’ the daily emission files were not created for some of the months completely; e.g. only first 20 days of Feb and March 2016 were generated by mrggrd. This problem did not exist in the ‘single sequential batch job’.

For the first issue –
Is there any difference in the Mrggrid logs (intermed/mrggrid/logs) between the two runs, particularly with the list of emissions files input to Mrggrid?
How large are the differences in the m3stat values? Are the differences small or negligible? If they are not small differences, is one set consistently larger than the other? I would focus on the ‘mean’ value for this.

For the second issue – why did the February and March jobs stop after ~20 days?
this behavior suggests SPINUP_MONTH_END = N while leaving SPINUP_DURATION = 10. To turn off spinup, and have (for example) a March job start on 3/1 and end on 3/31, SPINUP_DURATION should be 0, and SPINUP_MONTH_END should remain set to Y.

I did check my code and saw that I had set SPINUP_DURATION = 0 and SPINUP_MONTH_END = Y, but the problem was also for only two months out of 12 months!

Have you checked the Mrggrid log files for those dates showing the differences? Mrggrid log file will show the list of emission input files merged and make sure that they merge the same dates across multiple sectors. Sometime, dates get mixed up causing the different outcome.

By mrggrid log files, do you mean .rpt files of the type ‘2016fh_16j/reports/mrggrid/12US1/cmaq_cb6/mrggrid_dates_20140228.rpt’?

I just checked the files in the repository CMAS Data Warehouse > SMOKE > Output > 2016Platform > 2016fh_16j > premerged (at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1A8OFh8DX8KTHwhNsvCAw5DuQzraGPqrd) and saw that the 2D gridded emission file for the sector ‘afdust_adj’ exists for both 36US3 and 12US1, but there is a 2D gridded emission file called ‘afdust_ak_adj’ that only exists for 36US3 and not for 12US1 domain. Should I expect afdust_ak_adj file for 12US1 as well?

I don’t think the 12US1 domain touches Alaska, so no it should not be available for 12US1.

I was wondering if surface inputs files (preferably BELD5 and BEIS 7.0) below are available for the 36US3 domain for input into CMAQ:

#> For In-line biogenic emissions
    GSPRO     gspro_biogenics.txt
    B3GRD      b3grd.smoke30_beis361.12US1.2011NLCD_FIA5.1_CDL_norm_v3.ncf
    BIOSEASON bioseason.cmaq.2016j_12US1.ncf_full

#> For windblown dust emissions
    DUST_LU_1 beld3_12US1_459X299_output_a.ncf
    DUST_LU_2 beld4_12US1_459X299_output_tot.ncf

#> In-line sea spray emissions
    OCEAN_1 12US1_surf.ncf

#> For bidirectional ammonia
    E2C_SOIL us1_2016_cmaq12km_soil.nc
    E2C_CHEM us1_2016_cmaq12km_time${YYYYMMDD}.nc