Collaboration Opportunity: Simplifying WRF-CMAQ Installation for Global Benefit

Dear Esteemed WRF-CMAQ Community,

I hope this message finds you all well. My name is William Hatheway, a seasoned meteorologist and an active contributor to the Github community, with a focus on the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) Model.

Over the past three years, I have dedicated my time and expertise to the development of self-installation scripts for a variety of WRF model suites. This includes WRF-ARW, WRF-CHEM w/KPP, WRF-Hydro Coupled, WRF-Hydro Standalone, and Hurricane WRF. I am pleased to say that these scripts are openly available and are compatible across diverse operating systems, including MacOS, Debian & Fedora Kernels, as well as Windows Subsystem Linux. You can explore these scripts at this location: GitHub - HathewayWill/WRF-MOSIT: This BASH script installs all the required libraries, packages, software, dependencies, etc for the Weather Research & Forecasting model suite.

Lately, I’ve received an increasing number of requests from our invaluable WRF community members to extend this functionality to the WRF-CMAQ model. To address this need and continue serving our scientific community, I am seeking a collaborator to work with me on developing the code based on the existing scripts.

I am looking for someone well-versed with the WRF-CMAQ installation process, willing to co-develop this exciting project. Rest assured, your invaluable contribution will not go unnoticed. You will be acknowledged as a co-author of the code on Github, and we will jointly author a journal article to be submitted to a ScienceDirect Journal.

This endeavor is completely self-funded and doesn’t carry any affiliations with government organizations, universities, or private corporations. This is our chance to contribute to the global atmospheric science community, benefiting researchers and forecasters around the world.

The complexity of the WRF installation is well-known, and my objective is to streamline this process. By facilitating easier installation, we can empower meteorologists and climate scientists to spend more time on crucial research and forecasting tasks.

If you’re interested in collaborating or wish to learn more about the project, please do not hesitate to contact me here or through LinkedIn.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to the possibility of our collaboration.

Best regards,

William Hatheway
LinkedIn Profile

2 Likes

@moderators would any of you be interested in helping the atmospheric community around the world?

1 Like

There is a tutorial for compiling and running WRF-CMAQ here. Hopefully that will help get you started.

In addition, instructions for building the I/O API library are available here:
https://www.cmascenter.org/ioapi/documentation/all_versions/html/AVAIL.html#build

In the user’s guide is there a place that shows the expected created files for each of the steps?

Hi there,
I created two scripts in my GitHub (GitHub - adelgadop/WRFCMAQ: WRF-CMAQ coupled is a model that needs a I/O API 3.2 library and others more commons like netCDF-C, netCDF-Fortran, MPICH, HDF5, zlib.) that works for me to install I/O API and WRF-CMAQ. After, I tested the Bench project succesfully.

Best regards,
Alejandro D. Peralta

1 Like