Does the latest version of WRF-CMAQ allow for modeling aerosol-cloud interactions?

Hello, everybody!
I’m interested in learning if the latest version of WRF-CMAQ is capable of modeling aerosol-cloud interactions. Any references or resources you could share on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

You can easily search the following atmospheric scientist’s paper:

1. David Wong from US EPA
  2. Jia Xing from Tsinghua University
  3. Jiandong Wang from NUIST/Tsinghua University
  4. Shaocai Yu from Zhejiang University
2 Likes

Aerosol cloud interactions have been studied using developmental versions of the WRF-CMAQ model; a couple of examples:
(1) Yu, S. et al.: Aerosol indirect effect on the grid-scale clouds in the two-way coupled WRF–CMAQ: model description, development, evaluation and regional analysis, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 14, 11247–11285, ACP - Aerosol indirect effect on the grid-scale clouds in the two-way coupled WRF–CMAQ: model description, development, evaluation and regional analysis, 2014.
(2) Wang, K. et al.: A comparative study of two-way and offline coupled WRF v3.4 and CMAQ v5.0.2 over the contiguous US: performance evaluation and impacts of chemistry–meteorology feedbacks on air quality, Geosci. Model Dev., 14, 7189–7221, GMD - A comparative study of two-way and offline coupled WRF v3.4 and CMAQ v5.0.2 over the contiguous US: performance evaluation and impacts of chemistry–meteorology feedbacks on air quality, 2021.

However, process representation of these interactions are not currently available in public versions of the modeling system. Please refer to code availability sections of these manuscripts for additional details. A version of the coupled WRF-CMAQ model with the additional indirect aerosol forcing used in the studies above, may be available from Prof. Shaocai Yu [shaocaiyu@zju.edu.cn].

1 Like

Hi Rain,

Thanks for your interest in the WRF-CMAQ coupled with indirect effect. Rohit mentioned two papers which were based on an older version of CMAQ, in his last reply. I am working on updating the indirect effect with the latest CMAQ and WRF. Hopefully, it will be available soon.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Thank you for your response! Your tips have provided me with a wealth of valuable information. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you, sir. I truly appreciate the response you’ve provided—it’s been incredibly valuable to me! :handshake:

That’s great to hear! I’m particularly interested in the upcoming release of the WRF-CMAQ model. It will be a valuable tool for my research on aerosol-cloud interactions. :clap: