Error in spcmat when running SMOKE with saprc

Hello,
I am trying to run SMOKE using the 2011 NEI platform with SAPRC speciation, using the GSREF and GSPRO files for SAPRC from https://gaftp.epa.gov/Air/emismod/2011/v2platform/ancillary_data/ge_dat_for_2011v2_speciation_SAPRC07TB_contents.txt. I have previously run SMOKE successfully with the CB06 speciation.

I am getting the following error multiple times for different regions and SCC in the spcmat log (attached):
“ERROR: No speciation cross-reference available (and no default) for:
Region: 048375
SCC: 2310021400 POL: VOC”

spcmat_np_oilgas_2011ek_saprc_v6_11g_saprc.txt (1.8 MB)

I don’t know if there is a problem with the GSREF and GSPRO files (and if so how to change them), or if there is something else I should have changed in the SMOKE setup.

While these files were up to date at the time of posting, it’s possible something was missing for certain region and SCC combinations.

We’ve uploaded a later version of the GSPRO that may help:

https://gaftp.epa.gov/Air/emismod/2011/v2platform/ancillary_data/gspro_cmaq_saprc07t_08oct2021.txt

If not, you may need to update the GSREF to reference only profiles that are available.

You didn’t mention whether your error was for all sectors or only certain sectors of processing.

The oil and gas sectors are particularly tricky when it comes to speciation cross references.

The error is for the np_oilgas, pt_oilgas, ptegu, and ptnonipm sectors. The onroad and other non-point sectors seem to run fine.

The updated gspro file results in the same error. How do I update the GSREF to reference only available profiles? And what will this mean for the output? Will it ignore species if there is no available profile?

Did you move to the updated GSPRO that was referenced earlier?

Are you getting the same error for the same SCCs, or for different SCCs compared to the first attempt? In other words, are there any differences in the error messages when using the original GSPRO versus this new GSPRO? There should be at least some changes in the error messages with the new GSPRO.

If there are some changes in the error messages compared to the first attempt, can you provide the new Spcmat logs for each sector so that we can see which SCCs/profiles are still at fault and write direction on how to resolve?

If there are no changes in the error messages, then it’s possible Spcmat didn’t actually use the new GSPRO?

Changes to the GSREF may not be needed after all. In theory, the same GSREF could be used, unless it contains references to older profiles which are no longer in our platform and aren’t in the provided GSPRO.

I moved to the new GSPRO. The spcmat file is different, with fewer SCCs coming up as errors than before.
spcmat_np_oilgas_2011ek_saprc_v6_11g_saprc_newGSPROfile.txt (1.3 MB)

With the new GSPRO file it is only the np_oil_gas sector that is getting the error. The other sectors seem to be completing successfully.

Can you please attach the log with the errors to your post?

The spcmat log file with the errors is attached. I had to rename it as .txt to upload it and add to the filename to differentiate from the log for the previous run, but it is the log file. I’ve also attached the other log file that is produced in the run.

smkinven_np_oilgas_2011ek_saprc_v6_11g.txt (32.9 KB)
spcmat_np_oilgas_2011ek_saprc_v6_11g_saprc_newGSPROfile.txt (1.3 MB)

We note that the older platform GSREF references some obsolete oil and gas profiles. In your GSREF, make the following changes:

• replace “DJVNT” with “DJVNT_R”

• replace “SSJCO” with “SSJCO_R”

• replace “PNC01” with “PNC01_R”

• replace “PRBCB” with “PRBCB_R”

• replace “UNT01” with “UNT01_R”

It’s possible that you may also need to add these two lines to the GSREF.

First check if SCC 2310021411 is already in their GSREF; if it is not, then add these two lines:

“2310021411”,“FLR99”,“NONHAPVOC”,"! Flares - Natural Gas This SCC is not in the existing speciation cross reference we suggest to use Flare profile for this SCC "

“2310021411”,“FLR99”,“VOC”,"! Flares - Natural Gas This SCC is not in the existing speciation cross reference we suggest to use "“Flare"” profile for this SCC "

This may not be an exhaustive list of all changes needed. If you still get errors, then set SMK_MAXWARNING to 10000 (this will help show the full list of missing profiles) and then send back the new Spcmat log.

I made these changes to the GSREF file, and set SMK_MAXWARNING to 10000. I then got errors for SCC 2310023100, 2310023400 and 2310023600. (Log file:
spcmat_np_oilgas_2011ek_saprc_v6_11g_saprc.txt (1.3 MB))

These SCCs are already in the GSREF file for NONHAPVOC and PM2_5, but not for VOC. For NONHAPVOC the lines are
2310023600;“8949”;“NONHAPVOC”;;;;;;;! Updated for 2011eg_v6_11g based on API comments. Profile name: Natural Gas Production
2310023400;“8949”;“NONHAPVOC”;;;;;;;! Updated for 2011eg_v6_11g based on API comments. Profile name: Natural Gas Production
2310023100;“8949”;“NONHAPVOC”;;;;;;;! Updated for 2011eg_v6_11g based on API comments. Profile name: Natural Gas Production
(GSREF file:
gsref_SAPRC07TB_2011eh_v6_11g_05jan2015.txt (2.7 MB))
Should I copy these lines for VOC?