How to reduce ISAM output variables

Hi,

I ran CMAQ/ISAM using CMAQ-ISAM tag definition control file with

TAG CLASSES |OZONE

I noticed that the size of following output files are pretty large due to too many variables related to OZONE formation:

CCTM_SA_ACONC_v533_ISAM* ~ 827M
CCTM_SA_CGRID_v533_ISAM*
CCTM_SA_CONC_v533_ISAM*
CCTM_SA_DRYDEP_v533_ISAM*
CCTM_SA_WETDEP_v533_ISAM*

I am wondering if I am able to reduce those files’ size by setting up output variables like CCTM_ACONC files using

setenv AVG_CONC_SPCS “O3 NO NO2 CO ISOP”
setenv ACONC_BLEV_ELEV " 1 1"

For example, I would like to have

O3_REGIONs
O3_EmissionCategories

only in CCTM_SA_* files.

I am wondering if it is possible and how?

Thanks for your idea and help in advance.

Feng

Hello Feng,

no, it is currently not possible to output just a subset of the tracked species defined for a particular tag class.

Christian

Note, by the way, that these are selective direct access files: while it does cost you output-time to write this data, it does not cost you input-time for data you do not read.

In fact, one of the tests you do when you do the I/O API make tests demonstrates that when you have a year-long hourly-timestep data file and read just the midnight Cristmas eve (timestep 8592) data, the response is essentially instantaneous.

Hello Christian,

Thank you very much for your reply and confirmation.

Feng

Hello, Carlie,

Thank you very much for your response.

That is true, and interesting. But CCTM_SA_ACONC_v533_ISAM files provide hourly mean data rather than instantaneous one, right?

Thanks.

Feng

The point is that it takes exactly the same amount of I/O (and compute-time) to analyze just one variable from a thousand-variable file that it does to analyze one variable from a one-variable file.
(This is in sharp contrast with variables stored in “so-called normal” sequential files.)

Carlie,

Thanks, that point is also what ISAM exactly does. Yes, all variables are associated with all species involved ozone chemistry. So the same amount of I/O is understandable.

Thank you again for the key message.