No variables in ASENS files

Hi,
I am a beginner with CMAQ-DDM v5.4. I started a test run with a focus on O3 sensitivity to NOx and VOC.
I set the model based on the tutorial, and the model succsefully ran, but when I check the output,

I find there is no variables in CCTM_ASENS files.

Blockquote
netcdf CCTM_ASENS_20220801_d02 {
dimensions:
TSTEP = UNLIMITED ; // (0 currently)
DATE-TIME = 2 ;
LAY = 1 ;
VAR = 1 ;
ROW = 135 ;
COL = 147 ;
variables:
int TFLAG(TSTEP, VAR, DATE-TIME) ;
TFLAG:units = “<YYYYDDD,HHMMSS>” ;
TFLAG:long_name = "TFLAG " ;
TFLAG:var_desc = "Timestep-valid flags: (1) YYYYDDD or (2) HHMMSS " ;
s
// global attributes:
:IOAPI_VERSION = "ioapi-3.2: Id: init3.F90 185 2020-08-28 16:49:45Z coats " ;
:EXEC_ID = "CMAQ_CCTMv54_nwp_graces_1_20230719_040420_727980472 " ;
:FTYPE = 1 ;
:CDATE = 2023200 ;
:CTIME = 40424 ;
:WDATE = 2023200 ;
:WTIME = 40424 ;
:SDATE = 2022213 ;
:STIME = 0 ;
:TSTEP = 10000 ;
:NTHIK = 1 ;
:NCOLS = 147 ;
:NROWS = 135 ;
:NLAYS = 1 ;
:NVARS = 0 ;
:GDTYP = 2 ;
:P_ALP = 25. ;
:P_BET = 47. ;
:P_GAM = 108.917 ;
:XCENT = 108.917 ;
:YCENT = 28.5 ;
:XORIG = -1200000. ;
:YORIG = -503000. ;
:XCELL = 12000. ;
:YCELL = 12000. ;
:VGTYP = 7 ;
:VGTOP = 5000.f ;
:VGLVLS = 1.f, 0.9975f ;
:GDNAM = "FC_PRD_d02 " ;
:UPNAM = "OPASENS " ;
:FILEDESC = "DDM3D Sensitivity file output Averaged over the synchronization time steps Timestamp represents beginning computed date/time Layer mapping (SENGRID to SAGRID):

The length of TFLAG is 0.

I also checked SENWDEP and SENDDEP, there are lots of variables, which seem to be OK.

The sensinput files are as below:

ENX
EMIS
TOTA
SPECIES
NO, NO2

EVC
EMIS
TOTA
SPECIES
FORM, ALD2, ALDX, PAR, MEOH, OLE, ETH, IOLE, TOL, ISOP, TERP, ETOH, ETHA
END

Attached are the input files
run.cctm.d02-ddm.csh (36.5 KB)

sensinput.txt (144 Bytes)

CTM_LOG_001.20220801_d02.txt (378.5 KB)

Please show some guidance to me.

waiting for someone help me~

From looking at your input files, we noticed that you named your emissions streams “TOTA” and “TOTB.” I appologize that the instruction for this have somehow disappeared from the last example of sensinput.dat, but “TOTA” is a keyword used by the code to indicate total emissions from all streams (its 4character version of TOTAL).

So, the code might be getting confused by this type of formating:

ENX
EMIS
TOTA
SPECIES
NO, NO2

Because “TOTA” means both ALL emissions streams and also the one emissions stream you defined in the runscript.

I am not sure it will help with your issue, but I suggest to first renamed your emissions stream labels in the runscript and in the sensinput.dat file. Perhaps, use “EMISA” and “EMISB”.

Please, report back if this somehow helped.

Sergey

It seems that I have to output all the variables in ACONC file, my first try was to only output O3 in ACONC, which also seem to be a reason leading to no variables in ASENS files.

I tried the following input, and it works!
ENX
EMIS
EMISA
SPECIES
NO, NO2

EVC
EMIS
EMISB
SPECIES
FORM, ALD2, ALDX, PAR, MEOH, OLE, ETH, IOLE, TOL, ISOP, TERP, ETOH, ETHA

END

First order analysis can give us information about dO3/dNOx and dO3/dVOCs, but if I want to see the sensitivity on a EKMA diagram, I am wondering how to do EKMA diagram analysis on O3 using higher order sensitivity. How to set the seninput?

I am glad you worked out you output variable issues.

For the ozone isopleth question, I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but there are different ways to develop these. One simple way is just to run a bunch of different model simulation at various levels of emissions and note the O3 concentration at your receptor. Another way, is to develop a Taylor series type of reduced model for the receptor using sensitivity parameters including 2nd order. But if you have that, I am not sure why you need the isopleth. This seems more of a research question for you to decide.

Sergey