Point source emissions not impacting output CMAQ 5.3.3

Hello,

I am working on a CMAQ run using 2017 EQUATES emission data. I’ve successfully run the model, however the output did not match expectations. I reran the model with most diagnostic options turned on to find that the emission diagnostic files were all zero for my seven point source sectors.

However in the run logs (attached), the point source emissions appear to be read in correctly and scaled correctly. I’ve also confirmed that the point source files do contain correct emissions data, i.e. they are not zeroed out.

Feel like I’m missing something obvious here, but I cannot find anything amiss in the log files. Any help is greatly appreciated.

CTM_LOG_000.TXT (5.3 MB)
run_cctm.csh (36.2 KB)

GNU Fortran (Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1) 9.4.0

Here is a link to a benchmark case that uses the EQUATES data and that contains build and run scripts. You could compare these scripts to what you are using to see if there are any differences that would explain your findings.

Here is a link to the DESID documentation for CMAQv5.3.3.

Link to the tutorial for DESID for CMAQv5.3.3

Hi nderon,

Would you consider sending us also your EmissCtrl file so we can see the commands you’ve used to map the chemical species?

Best wishes,
Ben Murphy

Find the EmisCtrl file attached. I couldn’t find any differences between the EQUATES benchmark scripts and my own that might explain this, but I’ll go back and take another pass at it.

EmissCtrl_cb6r3_ae7_aq.txt (31.0 KB)

You’re right, that EmissCtrl file looks fine to me.

Try setting the value of both EMISDIAG and EMISDIAG_SUM in your runscript to 2DSUM. Does that yield results in the point files more in line with what you expect?

-Ben

Unfortunately I get the same output–zeroed out point sources.

Thanks for reporting back. Let’s inspect the contents of your point source files. Can you send a text file dump of the header information from one point source file (i.e. ncdump output)?

-Ben

Sure thing. I’ve attached a file of an emissions header and the associated stack group header.

nonipm_stack_headers.txt (9.6 KB)
nonipm_headers.txt (20.2 KB)

Any chance you had an opportunity to take a look at the headers provided? Any help is greatly appreciated.