Questions on windblown dust and PM10 calculation by CMAQ

Hello Hosein Foroutan,
It is nice to get your response. Thank you.

Yes, I noticed that module dust_emis in the CMAQ system is used for re-calculating the U*. For your question, please find some information about inputs to WRF and CMAQ as following:

1. I used WRF4.1.1.
  2. geog input data for WPS: geog_data_res = ‘nlcd2011_9s’.
  3. The physics schemes including pbl and land surface schemes for the first WRF/CMAQ run I discussed here are:
    bl_pbl_physics = 2,
    sf_sfclay_physics = 2,
    sf_surface_physics = 2,
  4. Land use data used in CMAQ: EPA BELD3.
    BELD4 does not work so far and please refer to the post Errors in inline windblown dust using BELD4 data with CMAQv5.3.
    I am going to try to use “unknown” option to use MCIP land use, and have yet to get the results.
  5. I also tested other schemes in WRF including ACM2
    bl_pbl_physics = 7,
    sf_sfclay_physics = 7,
    sf_surface_physics = 7,
    num_soil_layers = 2,
    In addition I also tested MYJ, MYNN2, and MYNN3 pbl schemes using the latest WRF4.2.1. Because high quality wind simulations is the most important factor in CMAQ windblown dust modeling. I did not use those WRF runs to drive CMAQ windblown dust because NONE of those WRF outputs provides satisfied wind speeds based on WRF model performance evaluation using AMET1.4 .

I have two questions after read your paper https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/2016MS000823.

1. You mentioned in the paper that “global MODIS FPAR data in the MOD15A2 product at 1 km resolution and every 8 days [ Myneni et al ., 2011] are processed and regridded onto the computational domain…” I did not find the 8-day MOD15A2 data or data processor for WRF input. I just found monthly GREENFRAC (vegetation fraction). Is that users’ responsibility to process 8-day MODIS FPAR?
  2. Soil moisture from WRF/MCIP should be re-calculated by factor 0.1 according to your paper when Noah LSM land surface model is used (as my first case described in Section 4 above). Do I have to manually do that by updating the code or we have set a switch in the CMAQ system to realize that? ( I did not check the code myself).
    Thank you very much for taking the time to check and reply.
    Feng