Smkinven: Negative stack exit velocity and temperature?

Hello, I’m a newbie in SMOKE. And I’m using v4.81.

I’m converting my list of point emissions to ORL format. And I met some warning messages from smk_point_capss.csh

217 WARNING: Negative stack exit velocity :: Reset to zero at line 5
218 WARNING: Negative stack exit temperature :: Reset to zero at line 5

But my list of point emissions don’t have negative stack exit velocity or temperature. I don’t know what is problem. I attached my ORL file and log file.

smkinven.point.capss.txt (95.3 KB)

ptinv.capss2016.orl.csv (162.2 KB)

Thank you.

ORL format has been retired. You should used FF10 format.

1 Like

Oh. Thank you for your comment. I’ll try to convert to FF10 format.

I tried to use FF10 format, but I met the same warning messages:

213 /pub/home/gwangjin/local/smoke_v481/data/inventory/capss2016/point/ptinv.capss2016.ff10
216 WARNING: Negative stack exit velocity :: Reset to zero at line 7
217 WARNING: Negative stack exit temperature :: Reset to zero at line 7

I attached my FF10 file and log file.

Thank you.

ptinv.capss2016.ff10.csv (184.4 KB)
smkinven.point.capss.txt (69.1 KB)

We noticed that there are no emissions specified in your file: the ann_value column is blank for all sources.

The column headers are:

country_cd,region_cd,tribal_code,facility_id,unit_id,rel_point_id,process_id,agy_facility_id,agy_unit_id,agy_rel_point_id,agy_process_id,scc,poll,ann_value,ann_pct_red,facility_name,erptype,stkhgt,stkdiam,stktemp,stkflow,stkvel,naics,longitude,latitude,ll_datum,horiz_coll_mthd,design_capacity,design_capacity_units,reg_codes,fac_source_type,unit_type_code,control_ids,control_measures,current_cost,cumulative_cost,projection_factor,submitter_id,calc_method,data_set_id,facil_category_code,oris_facility_code,oris_boiler_id,ipm_yn,calc_year,date_updated,fug_height,fug_width_xdim,fug_length_ydim,fug_angle,zipcode,annual_avg_hours_per_year,jan_value,feb_value,mar_value,apr_value,may_value,jun_value,jul_value,aug_value,sep_value,oct_value,nov_value,dec_value,jan_pctred,feb_pctred,mar_pctred,apr_pctred,may_pctred,jun_pctred,jul_pctred,aug_pctred,sep_pctred,oct_pctred,nov_pctred,dec_pctred,comment

You may also need to fill in the rel_point_id and process_id columns for SMOKE to properly process the data.
Anything in those columns will do, e.g. a single letter or number.

In addition to the other parameters mentioned earlier, The stack temp, flow, and velocity are all null. SMOKE may internally set those null values to -9 when it processes them as floating point numbers (that’s a BH question) and then reset them to 0 when it hits the negative number.

The solution is to fill in the stack parameters for all of the fields (columns R-V) or just ignore the warning and use the values in the pstk.

image001.jpg

I found I missed ann_value column which is important. And I filled in ann_value [tons/year].
Thank you for you comment.

I have a question regarding the unit of “ann_value”.
Which is the unit of “ann_value” metric ton(equal to 1000 kilograms) or U.S. ton?

I found SMOKE uses “short tons” (U.S. ton) in manual. Thank you.

Great – glad you got it to work. The latest EPA platform is posted for examples of the various files SMOKE uses.

https://www.epa.gov/air-emissions-modeling/2017-emissions-modeling-platform

image001.jpg

1 Like