The Emissions Stream Label Problems

Hi everyone,

When I run CMAQ, the following questions always arise: The Emissions Stream Label in the Emissions Control Namelist does not match any of the emissions streams labels or families provided to CMAQ. Even after I’ve turned off the dust switch, the WBDUST will still be indicated.

Below I attach my log file.Thank you in advance.
CTM_LOG_000.v532_pgi_cn36_20190110.txt (75.0 KB)

You will get these warnings if your emission control namelist specifies rules for stream labels that are undefined in your run. This is meant to alert you that you are defining a rule in the emission control namelist that cannot be applied because the stream it references doesn’t exist. The model will simply ignore such unusable rules specified in the emission control file, so they don’t cause any problems per se.

In your CMAQv5.3.2 example, the following warning messages you saw

ATTENTION: The Emissions Stream Label (WBDUST) applied for Rule   1
 in the Emissions Control Namelist does not match any of the emissions streams 
 labels or families provided to CMAQ. Please check the 
 runscript against your emissions control inputs
 confirm that this stream should be ignored.

ATTENTION: The Emissions Stream Label (WBDUST) applied for Rule   2
 in the Emissions Control Namelist does not match any of the emissions streams 
 labels or families provided to CMAQ. Please check the 
 runscript against your emissions control inputs
 confirm that this stream should be ignored.

were likely caused by the two rules for WBDUST size distributions in the default emission control file for cb6r3_ae7_aq released with CMAQv5.3.2 (unless you modified it):

&SizeDistributions
 SD_NML    = 
 !         | Stream Label   | Surr. Mode   | Ref. Mode 
 !<Default>  'ALL'          ,'FINE'        ,'FINE_REF',
 !<Default>  'ALL'          ,'COARSE'      ,'COARSE_REF',
             'WBDUST'       ,'FINE'        ,'FINE_WBDUST',
             'WBDUST'       ,'COARSE'      ,'COARSE_WBDUST',
             'SEASPRAY'     ,'FINE'        ,'FINE_SEASPRAY',
             'SEASPRAY'     ,'COARSE'      ,'COARSE_SEASPRAY',
 !<Example>  'AIRCRAFT'     ,'FINE'        ,'AIR_FINE',   !To use these examples, you 
 !<Example>  'AIRCRAFT'     ,'COARSE'      ,'AIR_COARSE', ! must add entries for AIR_FINE
                                                          ! and AIR_COARSE to the data structure
                                                          ! em_aero_ref in AERO_DATA.

/

I did not try this, but I’m guessing that in your run (where your run script disabled inline windblown dust emissions and the WBDUST emission stream therefore doesn’t exist) you could edit your emission control file to comment out or delete the two rules related to WBDUST and should then no longer see the warnings copied above.

Again, the warning is meant to alert you that some rules specified in the emission control file are being ignored and for you to examine whether ignoring these rules is appropriate for your model setup.

2 Likes

Hi, Dr. christian,

Thank you very much for your reply. Now my log document does not show warnings, but there are still show The Emissions Stream Label (PFAS_SOURCES) in the Emissions Control Namelist does not match any of the emissions streams labels or families provided to CMAQ.

I attach my log file and emission control documents. I hope to get your help,thank you in advance.
CTM_LOG_000.v532_pgi_cn36_20190110.txt (62.2 KB)
EmissCtrl_cb6r3_ae7_aq.nml.txt (35.3 KB)

If you are trying to model the fate of PFAS with CMAQ (as your EmissCtrl file suggests you do, by defining both a PFAS_SOURCES emission stream family and a PFAS chemical family to which a number of rules are being applied), this warning about PFAS_SOURCES not matching any stream labels would be of concern.

All of the emission streams used to define your PFAS_SOURCES stream family need to be defined in your CMAQ run script using the GR_EMIS_LAB_ or STK_EMIS_LAB_ labels. The warning says that some or all of the emission streams used to define the PFAS_SOURCES family (i.e. the individual streams referenced as ‘PT_PFAS_CHEMOURSNC’, ‘PT_PFAS_CHEMOURSOTHER’, ‘PT_PFAS_DUPONT’, ‘PT_PFAS_STGOBAIN’, and ‘PT_PFAS_OTHER’) aren’t actually defined in your CCTM run script using the STK_EMIS_LAB_ environment variables.

Hi, Dr. christian,

Thank you for your reply. I have made some changes and it can run now. Thank you for your help.