Unequal number of species for tagged species and expected species in CMAQ-ISAM

Hi all, I was running CMAQ-ISAM using v5.3.1 and got the following error.

==================================
     |>---   CONFIGURE SCENARIO   ---<|
     ==================================
 Reading ISAM control file
 TAGCLASSES = OZONE
   for            9  tags
Tagged species found,   87, does not equal expected,   89, for the SAPRC07TIC_AE7I_AQ mechanism.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, xNO2 not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, xMEO2 not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, RO2CX not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, xMECO3 not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, xRCO3 not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, xHCHO not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, xCCHO not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, xRCHO not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, O1D not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species, O3P not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species,  not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.
ISAM WARNING: Tagged Species,  not transported. Modify species namelist(s) to include process.

>>--->> WARNING in subroutine GET_SPC_INDEX on PE 000
     Above Problems Encountered

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine GET_SPC_INDEX on PE 000
     Above Fatal Error Encountered
 PM3EXIT:  date&time specified as 0
     Date&time specified as 0

The chemical mechanism I’m using is saprc07tic_ae7i_aq and I used OZONE as TAG CLASSES. This error comes from SA_DEFN.F. I double checked the code and found that when calculating the number of species of Nitrate, NSPC_SA is 35 + 11, while J_SPC is 9 + 35. Is it missing two species?

Thanks!

The next model release, version 5.3.2, includes three fixes that address your problem. Try the below changes in SA_DEFN.F in version 5.3.1. Please note that EPA’s model developers advise against using the OZONE tagclass in version 5.3.1.

1. 35 should be 33 on line 356.
  2. RO2CX should be RO2XC on line 651.
  3. RO2CX should be RO2XC on line 717.

Hi, I changed the SA_DEFN.F, but I couldn’t get SA files. I posted a new issue in the forum: Missing ISAM output files (CCTM_SA_* files). In the fixed run log file, it never shows the following line:

Reading ISAM control file

Did you ever encounter such problem? Thanks!

I just recompiled the model and now it’s generating SA files. Can I ask if I need to care about those species that are not transported?

hello, everone! I have a question when I running CMAQ-ISAM, it’s reported:
"
*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine INIT_REGIONS on PE 001
Region AnY on file ISAM_REGIONS contains a value greater than 1. The expected range is 0-1.
"
But I checked the file and found no value is greater than 1. I am so confused. Attached my CTM_LOG & regional factor file.
I’ll be appreciated for your help!

CTM_LOG.txt (20.5 KB)
ratio.csv (1.1 MB)

Which tool did you use to create your region mask file /home/Zhangyu/Build_CMAQ/CMAQ_Project/CCTM/scripts/henan.nc from the ratio.csv file you posted? Might that tool have written some values slightly larger than 1 to the henan.nc file? Could you provide a header dump of file henan.nc?

Thanks for your reply! I used ArcGIS and NCL to make the mask file. The dump log of the henan.nc file is below.
dumplog.txt (5.4 KB)

Thank you for posting this file. Nothing unusual jumps out at me.
To double check whether the ArcGis processing might have introduced some values slightly larger than one, it might be a good idea to run I/O API tool m3stat to determine the maximum and minimum value for each variable. If that program reports maximum values of 1 and minimum values of 0 for each variable, I’m not quite sure what else to suggest.