VERDI does not react to CMAQ outputs

Hi, all;

I am trying to load a CMAQ output file “CCTM_ACONC_v53_intel_2014_12US1_Apr3d_20140401.nc” which is about 2GB using VERDI 2.0 Beta. However VERDI does not react at all. No error message and no file loaded. I did adjust the memory cap to 6GB, so it should be fine. Is it caused by the netcdf format? Could you give me some suggestion?

Appreciate it!
Yijia

Does VERDI have a RAM cap of 1024M? It seems my file is bigger than that.

Hi, Yijia,

You should be able to load your CMAQ file, which is in the IOAPI (quasi-netCDF) format. Unfortunately, there are times when VERDI doesn’t produce an error message.

VERDI does not have a RAM cap; it is only limited by the available physical memory in your computer. Just specify the -Xmx parameter in the VERDI run script to a value less than your available physical memory. You can definitely load model output files much larger than the -Xmx memory limit. The memory limit only becomes a factor once you start adding variables into Formulas for plotting; so after adding several 3-D variables, for example, you may need to limit either the Time Range or Layer Range or both.

Can you load any other CMAQ files, like those under ./data/model included with the VERDI distribution? A few more details on your CMAQ file and your computer system might be helpful.

Jerry

Hello,Jerry;

Thanks for getting back to me!

Yes, I can certainly load the files in /data/model. There is no problem.

My CMAQ outputs are results from running CMAQ domain 12US1 for 3 days with a new ammonia inventory. Each .nc output is for one single day.

I am not sure if I need post-process the outputs by the embedded tools like combine? I don’t think I need to do any processing if I just simply want to visualize it in VERDI though. It is kind of frustrating because it took a lot of time to get it run but I eventually could not open the output…

Yijia

Hi, Jerry;

I think I figured it out. I used m3tshift to filtrate the output without changing dates or time. Simply, I just input the original .nc file into the program m3tshift and output the same file. Now VERDI can load and read this output.

Best;
Yijia