AMET meteorological analysis with netcdf files

Is it possible to use the output of any other meteorological model (other than WRF and MPAS) to compare with the observational data using AMET if the output is in netcdf format?

It is not possible out of the box or without extensive modification. There are readers for each model in I think MET_model_read.R. You would have to modify the surface met data reader to get the same data as in WRF and MPAS. And the raob reader for the upper-air meteorology.

What specific model?

Sir,
Thank you for the explanation. But I was thinking of converting the output data from some diagnostic model like CALMET to netcdf format and analysing it with AMET. Is it possible?

Thanks for the additional information.

1. No. Not the current version. It would have to be adapted and unless it is a commonly used weather model. As indicated before there are readers for the two compatible models WRF and MPAS. These are functions that extract the necessary variables.

2. Honestly, I’m not sure why one needs to evaluate a diagnostic model like CALMET. I’ve had some experience with this many years ago. The diagnostic model just takes point observations and makes a gridded field of meteorology using fancy interpolation with some minimal dynamics like slope and valley flows. If you take that gridded field of meteorology and compare it to the observations that were used to generate the gridded field, it will look very good if not perfect.

I’d personally suggest running a model like WRF for the CALMET/CALPUFF model. There is a WRF to CALMET converter. The diagnostic CALMET model is a really old paradigm. For a time when running full atmospheric dynamic/first-principle models like MM5 or WRF was hard for most because they required a supercomputer.

Just my view. Best of luck.

Thank you sir for that elaborate explanation. I fully agree with you that the diagnostic models are simple models with interpolated wind fields and some adjustments to the various flows. But my point was the resolution and scale of the weather models which are of the order of kms. Diagnostic models can resolve wind field for local scale at a higher resolution.