ERROR in inline windblown dust emissions with CMAQv5.3

Hi all,
There is a problem in calculating inline windblown dust emissions on CMAQv5.3, my run aborted with the following error:

>>--->> WARNING in subroutine XTRACT3
 Requested variable Alfalfanot available in file DUST_LU_1 which contains variables:

USGS_urban
 USGS_drycrop
 USGS_irrcrop
 USGS_cropgrass
 USGS_cropwdlnd
 USGS_shrubgrass
 USGS_grassland
 USGS_shrubland
 USGS_savanna
 USGS_decidforest
 USGS_evbrdleaf
 USGS_coniferfor
 USGS_mxforest
 USGS_water
 USGS_wetwoods
 USGS_sprsbarren
 USGS_woodtundr
 USGS_mxtundra
 USGS_snowice

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine wb_dust_setup on PE 029
 Could not read Alfalfa from DUST_LU_1

PM3EXIT: date&time specified as 0
Date&time specified as 0

The DUST_LU_1 file which used to calculate in-line windblown dust emissions was generated from fortran script that i wrote, and i just put the USGS_* land use categories into the DUST_LU_1 file rather than all land use categories in BELD3. It worked in CMAQv5.2 but it seems not worked in CMAQv5.3? So I wonder that i have to put all land use categories in BELD3 into DUST_LU_1 file? or there is another solution to this problem?

I would be grateful if anyone can help me with this issue.

Zunyir

Hi Zunyir,
Thank you for your question. I am going to ask another team member if they can look into this further. In the meantime, I wanted to let you know that the DUST_LU_1 file is actually an optional input file in CMAQv5.3. If the DUST_LU_1 file is not provided the windblown dust module can function with only the land use information contained in the MCIP files.

See this section of our User’s Guide for further information: https://github.com/USEPA/CMAQ/blob/master/DOCS/Users_Guide/CMAQ_UG_ch06_model_configuration_options.md#wind-blown-dust

Dear kristen,

Thanks for your suggestion, i set CTM_WBDUST_BELD to default and ran the script again and it worked.But i stil wonder windblown dust module can function normally when all of the land use categories in BELD3 are written to DUST_LU_1 file?

Thanks a lot !
Zunyir

I’m certainly not the expert on this code, but our plan is to remove these files to simplify the input requirements. WB dust will just use inputs from MCIP/WRF. We made a last min attempt before the 5.3 release, but there were too many tentacles in terms of the LU_1 and LU_2 file. The interim release of 5.3 will have these updates. Also an update of using new PX LSM soil hydraulic parameters instead of lookup tables.