Hg simulation using CMAQ-5.3.2

Hi everyone,
I use CMAQ-5.3.2 to simulate Hg and the model runs smoothly with “CTM_HGBIDI N”. Once i turn on the mercury bi-directional flux for in-line deposition velocities(CTM_HGBIDI Y), the following error appears:

Could you help with this?
My run script is attached here.run_cctm_brhgo.txt (36.4 KB)

It would be helpful to re-build the model for debug and run the debug-executable: that way, when we get the seg-fault, the traceback will list the files and lines related to the fault.

Note that you need to remove all the optimized “.o” and “.mod” files before you do the debug-make… the current CMAQ build-system doesn’t separate debug-builds from optimized-builds.

Thanks, I will try that!
Lin

Hi,
I rebuilt the model in debug mode and run it again. The following information shows:

I checked these scripts for more detail:

1. HGSIM.F line 174-176:
    IF(CAT_LU(L) .EQ. ‘EVEFOR’) THEN
    fevgrn(c,r) = fevgrn(c,r) + Grid_Data%lufrac(c,r,l)
    End IF
  2. vdiffproc.F line 242-244:
    IF ( HGBIDI ) THEN ! Initialize HGSIM module
    CALL INIT_HGSIM(JDATE, JTIME)
    END IF
  3. sciproc.F line 243:
    CALL VDIFF ( CGRID, JDATE, JTIME, TSTEP )
  4. driver.F line 717:
    CALL SCIPROC ( CGRID, JDATE, JTIME, TSTEP, ASTEP )
  5. cmaq_main.F line 96-98:
    DO ISTEP = 1, NSTEPS
    CALL CMAQ_DRIVER (STDATE, STTIME, MODEL_TSTEP, JDATE, JTIME, (ISTEP .EQ. NSTEPS))
    END DO
    I am confused and have no clue how to fix this, could you please help?
    Thanks!
    Lin

This is quite curious. The possibilities would seem to be

• subscript out of bounds in fevgrn(c,r) or Grid_Data%lufrac(c,r,l), which seems quite improbable given the loop-bounds in the enclosing loop-nest and the ALLOCATE statements immediately above HGSIM.F line 174-176; or
  • Grid_Data%lufrac(c,r,l) not yet allocated (which seems unlkely, also.

BTW, this is lousy code that has the relationship between subscripts and loop-orders exactly backwards for good performance (and the bad performance will get worse and worse as the problem size gets larger and larger; for reasonable performance, the loop order should have been:

DO L = 1, N_LUFRAC
     DO R = 1, NROWS
           DO C = 1, NCOLS

Hi,
I changed the HGSIM.F loop according to what you said and the HGSIM.F error disappear. But the other three are still there. Does this mean to fix this problem i need to change all these three files as well? Could you please help with it?
Thanks!
Lin

Hello,
I’ve encountered the same issue. Have you resolved this issue?
Thanks!

This issue has not yet been fixed in the current release of CMAQ but will be fixed in the next release.

We have opened a new issue page on the CMAQ github site to document this error and describe a code fix that can be used prior to the next CMAQ release.