SMOKE 4.7 test case difference

Dear all,
I encounter one problem while running test case. After running, i found some errors in log file. I reinstalled once and still met the same error. When i check the install_diffs.txt file, the differences are:
Stationary area source differences
Biogenic source differences
Nonroad source differences
Point source differences
MOVES rateperdistance source differences
MOVES rateperhour source differences
MOVES ratepervehicle source differences
MOVES rateperprofile source differences.
It seems everything is different.
But i don’t know how to fix this. Could you help me with this? Thanks!!

Please make sure you ran all sectors run scripts successfully. You can check all log files especially Smkmerge and Movesmrg log files from $LOGS folder. All log files should end with “Normal Completion”. If not, then you need to find out which sector run failed and address the issue by examine the error message first.

If all log files end with “Normal Completion”, and seeing these differences after you invoke “check_smk_install” script, then we need to look into the details. Before we do that, please check your log files first and then once all run scripts are run successfully, then rerun the “check_smk_install” script to find out whether there are any differences existed or not.

I checked all files under $LOGS directory. I have 45 logs files in all and all files end with “Normal Completion”. But when i rerun the “check_smk_install” script, I still got “Differences between your installation and correct answers exist!”. Attached picture shows the name of these 45 log files.

Have you reviewed what kind of differences are you seeing? Which sectors? How much of differences are we talking about?

When i use “grep ERROR *” to check all logs files, all errors are shown below:

install_diffs.txt (583.0 KB) smkinven.area.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100

• smkinven.nonroad.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • smkinven.point.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • smkinven.rateperdistance.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000*
  • smkinven.rateperhour.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000*
  • smkinven.rateperprofile.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000*
  • smkinven.ratepervehicle.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000*
  • spcmat.area.nctox.cmaq_cb05_soa.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • spcmat.area.nctox.cmaq_cb05_soa.log: Value for DEFAULT_CONV_FAC_ERROR not defined;returning default: FALSE*
  • spcmat.nonroad.nctox.cmaq_cb05_soa.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • spcmat.nonroad.nctox.cmaq_cb05_soa.log: Value for DEFAULT_CONV_FAC_ERROR not defined;returning default: FALSE*
  • spcmat.nonroad.nctox.cmaq_cb05_soa.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • spcmat.point.nctox.cmaq_cb05_soa.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • spcmat.point.nctox.cmaq_cb05_soa.log: Value for DEFAULT_CONV_FAC_ERROR not defined;returning default: FALSE*
  • temporal.area.nctox.20050710.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • temporal.nonroad.nctox.20050710.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • temporal.point.nctox.20050710.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100*
  • temporal.rateperdistance.nctox.20050710.us12-nc.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000*
  • temporal.rateperhour.nctox.20050710.us12-nc.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000*

And I checked install_diffs.txt and found all differences as below:
Stationary area source differences
Biogenic source differences
Point source differences
MOVES rateperdistance source differences
MOVES rateperhour source differences
MOVES ratepervehicle source differences
MOVES rateperprofile source differences
The install_diffs.txt file is attached here

Hi,

Actually I haven’t figured out the problem. I checked several times but the difference still exists. So confused.

Lin

Based on your install_diffs.txt report, they are practically same. I think there are very minor decimal point differences 0.01% which can be ignored.

1 Like

Oh. I see. Thanks so much!

I have a similar problem as found by lwu127 after running the nctox test case. However I have 79 log files rather than 45. The numerical errors are as lwu127 found – either 100 or 900000. The first few lines of the resulting from the “grep ERROR *” command are as follows:

grdmat.bg.nctox.us12-nc.log: ERROR: input file not found: BGRD
grdmat.bg.nctox.us12-nc.log: *** ERROR ABORT in subroutine GRDMAT
movesmrg.abmp.nctox.20050710.us12-nc.log: *** ERROR ABORT in subroutine GETMRGEV
mrggrid.abmp.nctox.20050710.us12-nc.log: *** ERROR ABORT in subroutine MRGGRID
smkinven.area.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100
smkinven.bg.nctox.log: INTERNAL ERROR: Do not know about category BIOGEN in program OPENINVIN
smkinven.bg.nctox.log: *** ERROR ABORT in subroutine OPENINVIN
smkinven.bg.nctox.log: INTERNAL ERROR: Do not know about category BIOGEN in program OPENINVIN
smkinven.nonroad.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100
smkinven.point.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 100
smkinven.rateperdistance.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000
smkinven.rateperhour.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000
smkinven.rateperprofile.nctox.log: Value for SMK_MAXERROR: 900000

Are my errors also acceptable?

I am not sure why you are running Grdmat program for biogenic sources. Grdmat program run is not required for biogenic source category. Looks like you may have modified the original SMOKE run scripts located under $SCRIPTS/run. Please remove modified version by you and rerun the original scripts from the SMOKE package.

I did not attempt to edit any files.

But just to make sure, I just re-downloaded the three files from the CMAS website to set up a new SMOKE directory and re-ran the nctox test case. I get the same errors as before and output looks the same.

There must be some kind of corruptions existed in your previous run setup. Can you remove all previously downloaded and created input/output files? Maybe remove the SMOKE home folder for a clean start? or start fresh from a new SMK_HOME location with new downloaded output file and then follow the chapter 12.3 (installing SMOKE), and then go through the chapter 4.3 (Running the SMOKE test case) step by step.

I did start with a new SMK_HOME location and new download. I followed the step by step instructions of chapter 4.3 of the instructions. I installed SMOKE from the CMAS website using the three files listed below:
total 211208
drwxr-xr-x 7 4096 Jun 29 09:36 data
-rw-r–r-- 1 4731 Jun 29 09:31 smoke_install_v47.csh
-rw-r–r-- 1 41673039 Jun 29 09:30 smoke_v47.Linux2_x86_64ifort.tar.gz
-rw-r–r-- 1 174580072 Jun 29 09:28 smoke_v47.nctox.data.tar.gz
drwxr-xr-x 3 4096 Jun 29 09:36 subsys

The two directories “data” and “subsys” were created, along with sub-directories, when I implemented the install.

Perhaps I am starting with the wrong files?

No. They are right files to work with. Have you edited your .cshrc file for SMK_HOME ? If you have, please remove it and reset it to new SMK_HOME location and start fresh.

I have the same errors as DEEP. I didn’t change any of the original scripts. I’m running ubuntu system. Any suggestions for that?

Please make sure that you do not “source” run scripts but invoke them. There is a limit on number of setenv list and if you “source” any run scripts (smk_$secot_nctox.csh) other than ASSIGNS file, it could max out the number and cause the issues like what you guys are having.

How did you run the smk_$secot_nctox.csh run scripts?

Thank you very much for the reply. I did “source” run scripts. Should I use “./” run instead?

Ok. That is why you guys are getting that kind of weird issues. Yes, please use ./ to invoke your run scripts.

By the way, there will be SMOKE and CMAQ online training courses starting in last week of July. Please consider taking the opportunity if you are interested in.

Thank you all. That worked (./). Errors are now exactly as original poster’s (lwu127) and nothing more.

We are holding out for the live training sessions and hope to see you soon.