Windblown Dust Model Inputs

Hello,

I am just starting to explore the recently added windblown dust options available with CMAQ. I’ve studied out the required modifications for CMAQ/CCTM itself, however I am struggling to understand what is even required for the inputs to CCTM. I know that the submodel requires FPAR and LAI data from the MODIS network and that that data must be reformatted using the wbdust preparatory program and WRF. However, the link provided with the DustInput tutorial (from CMAQ 5.2.1) does not actually lead to the information required by WRF. Further, the documentation on using wbdust and WRF to prepare these inputs have been less than helpful.

Is there anyone out there using this aspect of CMAQ? If so, where are you finding your inputs and how are you preparing those inputs?
Also, does anyone have a case that could be used to benchmark my installation and use of the preparatory programs that lead up to the actual dust model within CMAQ?

Thanks in advance.

Cothatch,

We are working on an update to make this documentation clearer and for newer versions of WRF.

I would like some clarification on this question/statement.

“However, the link provided with the DustInput tutorial (from CMAQ 5.2.1) does not actually lead to the information required by WRF. Further, the documentation on using wbdust and WRF to prepare these inputs have been less than helpful.”

Specifically about “does not actually lead to the information required by WRF”

Is your question about the MODIS FPAR input data used by WPS geogrid?

If so look for greenfrac_fpar* in the following link for this input dataset. We will give a direct link to the data in the doc update.
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/download/get_sources_wps_geog.html

If not, please clarify since my read of the documentation indicates the only WRF inputs to this processing are geogrid output file and obviously the data needed by WPS.

Regards, Rob

1 Like

Rob,

You are correct, that was my question. I appreciate your response, it was helpful.

Cole