CMAQ5.3.2-ISAM starts running with an error:File not available

Hello everyone,
I am currently using CMAQ_ISAM for PM2.5 source apportionment. I am getting the following error at runtime. What is the problem and how can I fix it?

=========================================================
 |>---   OPEN OR CREATE AVERAGE CONCENTRATION FILE   ---<|
 =========================================================
 A_CONC_1        :/home/cmaq/CMAQ-5.3.2/data/output_CCTM_c2001/CCTM_ACONC_v532_ISAM_gcc_c2001_20200101.nc

>>--->> WARNING in subroutine OPEN3
 File not available.
 Could not open A_CONC_1 file for update - try to open new

Interestingly, when I reduce the total number of species tracked in the isam_control.txt file to less than 15 (tracking only EC, OC, etc.), CMAQ runs fine, but when I increase the number of species tracked to 16 (tracking nitrate species) it does not run and I still get the error.
I have attached the isam_control.txt file below. I have a total of 26 area tags.
Thank you for your answer!
isam_control_20.txt (10.4 KB)

What you show is a WARNING message not an error. Please attach full log file instead of part of it.

Please check your EmissCtrl file or attach it here for review.

Hope it is helpful.

Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
I have attached the documents you need below for your review.
Thanks again!
CTM_LOG_031_v532_ISAM_gcc_c2001_20200101.txt (37.0 KB)
EmissCtrl_cb6r3_ae6_aq.txt (31.0 KB)

First, all regions like BC, CC, CF … in your isam_control_20.txt are not defined in section of &RegionsRegistry in your EmissCtrl_cb6r3_ae6_aq.txt.

Second, you should find ERROR from all log files when you run CMAQ in parallel way, the log file CTM_LOG_031 could not tell you what is wrong with your script or input data, please use

grep ERROR CTM_LOG* to find error message from all log files

I hope it is helpful.

Thank you for your answer.
I have checked the CTM_LOG file and found the following error in one of the log files. I have attached the log file with the error below for your review.Since the log file was too large (>8MB), I trimmed some of the content in between to be able to upload it here.
CTM_LOG_000_v532_ISAM_gcc_c2001_20200101.txt (4.6 MB)

Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  532  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  533  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  534  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  535  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  536  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  537  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  538  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  539  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  540  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  541  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
     Variable name VNAME3D(  543  ) = "            " duplicates VNAME3D(  542  ) = "            " in file "SA_CONC_1"
>>--->> WARNING in subroutine OPEN3
     Could not open SA_CONC_1       :  Maximum number of files already opened.

*** ERROR ABORT in subroutine OP_SA on PE 000           
     Could not create SA_CONC_1        file
 PM3EXIT:  DTBUF 0:00:00   Jan. 1, 2020  
     Date and time 0:00:00   Jan. 1, 2020   (2020001:000000)

Also, regarding the issue that the regions in isam_control.txt are not defined in the EmissCtrl file. I also did not define the tracking regions one by one in the EmissCtrl file when I successfully simulated ISAM. Because I have set the Region Label and Variable on File to ‘ALL’ in &RegionsRegistry, each region in the region file will be read automatically during simulation, so I don’t need to define them individually.
Thanks again for your answer!

It looks like it is having trouble creating variable names for the ISAM output files. I am not exactly sure why, but because you can run with 1 less tag successfully, it is possible that you are running into memory limits on your machine. Is there a way you can create the amount of memory available for this job?

Sergey

Thank you for your answer!
I am currently using ISAM for sector and regional source apportionment.
The reason I set up the tags this way is that I can run the simulation only once and then calculate it into sector and regional sources with the Combine tool, so I don’t have to do separate sector and regional source apportionment. How can I reduce the number of tags to achieve my goal?
Thanks again!

Sorry, I mistyped in the response… I meant to write: “Is there any way to increase the amount of memory for this job?”

I don’t know how to reduce the number of tags for you. That depends entirely on your application and your goals for the output.

Sergey

Your setup very likely is running up against the 2048 maximum variables-per-file limit set in your I/O API library. The product of tracked species (determined by the tag classes) and tags (region/emission stream combinations) cannot exceed that number. Since you define more than 100 tags, adding the nitrate tag class to all the other tag classes likely pushes you above that limit.

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, that was the problem, I installed the ioapi-large version as suggested in the user manual and the problem was solved.