MRGGRID Error when running NEI onroad source merge program using smoke

Using NEI Platform 2015 and smoke 4.5(precompiled with platform)

I ran merge in onroad and an error is shown in the output:

ERROR: At least one message's priority is less than or equal to the exit priority: 1
ERROR: Level 1 errors or Level 0 warnings found. Check log files, fix inputs, and rerun.

Please find the script run screen output onroad_merge.txt) attached.
onroad_merge.txt (4.9 KB)

The log file shows:

ERROR: At least two input files contain data for time periods that do 
      not overlap. No output file can be created.
 *** ERROR ABORT in subroutine SETOUTDATE
 Problem with input file time periods

I have attached the run script file (Monthly_onroad_merge_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh) and the log file below(mrggrid_onroad_log.txt).

Monthly_onroad_merge_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh (7.2 KB)
mrggrid_onroad_log.txt (4.7 KB)

  • The other sectors (RPD, RPH, RPP, RPV) ran successfully.
  • emis_mole_RP* files are in /scratch/kvk66396/nei/2015fd_cb6_15j/premerged/mrggrid/ with the proper links.
  • I tried to merge two at a time such as RPD and RPP or RPV and RPH. However, the error seems to not be the individual RP* files because I received the same error.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on how I can go about addressing this issue?


Thank you for posting your logs. We note that the mrggrid log suggests that the RPD file for that day is empty (0 timesteps). Also, the RPV file should have 25 timesteps but the log says it only has 24. Maybe something happened in the upstream Movesmrg processing and that did not complete? Or files got moved or truncated somehow?

I found that my MCIP (meteorology) files had 24 timesteps and fixed it to have 25 timesteps. Then I ran all four of the onroad sectors (RPD, RPP, RPH, RPV). RPD, RPP, RPH all ran successfully with no errors in the log files.

  1. RPV error: I ran into the same error as
    Even with the ioapi defined, there is still the same error for RPV.
    New log file attached: movesmrg_RPV.txt (10.4 KB)

  2. Excluding RPV, I attempted to merge the rest (RPD, RPP, RPH) which also resulted in the same error above. The log for mrggrid suggests that 1) RPD file is empty (0 timesteps again), 2) RPP file has 745 timesteps, and 3) RPH file has 24 timesteps. It seems from before nothing has changed even though I updated the timesteps of the mcip met files. And now, RPV is not working as it did before.
    New log file attached: new_merge_log.txt (5.2 KB)

I want to confirm that all onroad sectors should have 25 timesteps for merge, right?

Can you please provide your run scripts (e.g. Monthly_onroad_RPD_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh) and the standard output for RPD, RPP, RPH, and RPV? Something still isn’t right with the date settings.

Monthly_onroad_RPD_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh (7.4 KB)
rpdoutput.txt (18.0 KB)

Monthly_onroad_RPH_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh (7.7 KB)
rphoutput.txt (18.9 KB)

Monthly_onroad_RPP_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh (7.7 KB)
rppoutput.txt (110.4 KB)
Although the RPP screen output shows an error, all the log files show normal completion statements.

Monthly_onroad_RPV_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh (7.6 KB)
rpvoutput.txt (110.1 KB)
Log file showing error or RPV:
movesmrg_RPV_onroad_cb6orig_aug_2015fd_cb6_15j__12US2_cmaq_cb6.txt (10.4 KB)

Thank you. In each of the run scripts, try changing:

setenv EPI_STDATE_TIME “${BASE_YEAR}-08-01 00:00:00.0”

setenv EPI_ENDATE_TIME “${BASE_YEAR}-08-31 23:59:00.0”

back to the default:

setenv EPI_STDATE_TIME “${BASE_YEAR}-01-01 00:00:00.0”

setenv EPI_ENDATE_TIME “${BASE_YEAR}-12-31 23:59:00.0”

The RUN_MONTHS setting (which you have set to “8”) will tell the run scripts to only run August. Changing the EPI_STDATE_TIME and EPI_ENDATE_TIME parameters should generally stay the same regardless of the month you are running.

I reran the scripts with the default date times and received a similar output.

  1. RPD, RPH, and RPD ran successfully when I ran the scripts.
    RPV received an error: RPV_output.txt (109.0 KB)
    RPV script: Monthly_onroad_RPV_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh (7.6 KB)
    RPV Log file error: movesmrg_RPV_onroad_log.txt (8.6 KB)
    Even though RUN_MONTHS is set to 8, it still requires met data from all days defined by the EPI date times. Do I need to get the data for the whole year?

  2. I tried to merge using: Monthly_onroad_merge_12US2_2015fd_cb6_15j.csh (7.2 KB)
    Merge screen output: merge_output.txt (5.0 KB)
    Merge log file error: mrggrid_merge_log.txt (5.8 KB)
    Although I had an error in RPV, I still went and tried to run merge. My timestep results were: RPD - 0, RPP - 745, RPV - 25 and RPH - 24. It seems even though RPV received an error, it has 25 timesteps but the others have not changed.

Thank you for the feedback!

In versions of the script packages prior to 2016beta platform, there was that limitation of the met data as you describe.

To fix this, edit INSTALL_DIR/smoke4.5/assigns/ASSIGNS.emf and replace:

/bin/env datshift



Thank you! That fixed the errors I was receiving for onroad source merge.